Over the years I’ve found some amazing ways to turn vegetables (with the occasional help from other items) into solid main courses. These ideas range from hearty salads tossed with grilled vegetables, skewers paired with polenta or halloumi, or whole grilled vegetables as the main star (like the grilled endives listed or even grilled cabbage).
Below are a few vegetarian grilling recipes to get you started as you fire up your grill this summer. Don’t be afraid to experiment with items that might not even be considered good grilling vegetables (like beets or even lettuce!) I recommend grilling vegetables for meals throughout the week. Leftover grilled vegetables are great salad. pizza, and even taco toppings. Also, picking up a grilling basket or pan can be helpful for some of these meals!
Vegetarian Grilling Recipes
I’ve found over the years that one of the best things to show up with at a BBQ are vegetable skewers. They are perfect for everyone and I’ve yet to find someone who doesn’t like grilled polenta or cheese. Beyond this, there’s just something lovely about the look of a line of fresh vegetables waiting to be grilled. Skewers are also great with tofu. A few of my favorites:
- Grilled Halloumi Skewers with Cilantro-Tahini Sauce
- Spiced Sweet Potato Skewers with Cilantro Yogurt Sauce
- Grilled Turnips with Dill Olive Oil
- Snap Pea Skewers with Soy-Ginger Sauce
- Curried Vegetable Polenta Kabobs
I’ve yet to come up with a term like for this category. Steak is too meat related but slab and slice don’t really do these grilled vegetables justice. Cauliflower, broccoli, cabbage, fennel celeriac all great because you can get a sizable surface area. Grilled fruit is also fairly popular- especially watermelon and cantaloupe.
- Cauliflower Steaks with Green Harissa and Brown Rice
- Grilled Celeriac with White Bean Puree
- Cajun Cauliflower with Cilantro Avocado Sauce
Vegetarian Grilling Mains
I love cooking over an open flame whether it’s a grill or campfire. This leads to many grilled meals during the warmer months. These are some of the heartier grilled meals I’ve made- perfect for a full meal or could still be a side at a BBQ!
- Grilled Endives with Lentils
- Pesto Summer Squash Bruschetta with Poached Eggs
- Grilled Eggplant Rolls with Cream Cheese and Herbed Millet
- Curry Grilled Vegetables with Chickpeas and Creamy Polenta
Salads and summer go hand in hand, so I’m always tossing grilled vegetables and fruits on salads. These are some of my favorite vegetarian grilling recipes!
- Three-Grain Grilled Vegetable and Feta Salad
- Grilled Chipotle Peach Salad
- Grilled Beet, Quinoa, and Feta Salad
- Freekeh Salad with Sweet Corn and Arugula
Sandwiches and Wraps
As mentioned above, I like to grill extra vegetables and use the next day for lunch. Cooked sweet corn is lovely for salads and enchiladas while grilled onions, peppers, and eggplant are perfect for grain bowls. Grilled vegetables are perfect in wraps, quesadillas, crepes, and sandwiches.