I have my weaknesses and potatoes top that list. I'm often the girl that orders/makes a perfectly good salad but will tack on an order of fries. I don't discriminate either, any kind of potato will do- red, sweet, gold, russet. Each has a use in my kitchen. This recipe for roasted potatoes is a step up from my normal, plain roasted potatoes. While the harissa softens the crispness of the potato, the flavor makes up for it.
Pairings/Usage for Roasted Potatoes
These roasted potatoes are extremely versatile. You can, of course, eat them as a side dish just from this recipe but I've used them in a few different ways. One of which, stuffed in an omelette, has become a favorite in my house. If you want, you can also swap out the yukon gold potatoes for sweet potatoes!
Breakfast: Serve with Eggs or in an Omelette (this roasted potato mixture works really great in an omelette!)
Lunch: Use to top a salad (like in a salad like this warm roasted potato arugula salad), throw on top of grains with a hardboiled egg or white beans, or just eat as as a side a dish like this Garlicky Spinach Millet.
Extra Harissa? Try one of these recipes: Harissa Lentil and Cauliflower, Harissa + Egg Grilled Cheese, or Harissa and Avocado Grilled Cheese. Bon Appétit also has a great slideshow with some harissa inspiration!
Roasted Potatoes with Harissa
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 45 mins
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 3 to 4 servings 1x
- 1 pound yukon gold potatoes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Pinch of salt
- ⅓ cup harissa (recipe here)
- ½ ounce feta
- Cilantro, for topping
- Preheat oven to 425˚.
- Wash and dry the potatoes. Cut into ¼" chunks and toss with the olive oil and salt. Spread into a single layer on a baking tray, covered with parchment paper if desired. Roast until potatoes are browning and crisp, 35 to 45 minutes.
- While potatoes are still warm, toss with harissa, feta, and sprinkle with a bit of cilantro before serving.
+ My harissa recipe is a cheat method and not near as spicy as a traditional harissa recipe. If you want to try your hand at a traditional recipe, here is a good one from Saveur.