A flavorful vegan sandwich with chickpeas cooked in shawarma spice then stuffed in a pita with hummus and lettuce.
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups cooked chickpeas (or 1-15 ounce can, drained and rinsed)
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced red pepper
- 2 whole wheat pita with pockets
- 1/4 cup hummus
- 1 to 2 handfuls chopped lettuce
- Feta, optional
- Parsley, for topping
- Preheat oven to 400˚ F. In a medium bowl, combine minced garlic with spices (cumin through the cayenne pepper). Add in the olive oil and stir until well combined/paste has formed. Stir in the chickpeas, red onions, and red pepper, using a spatula to toss and coat. Transfer chickpeas to a roasting pan and cover with foil. Bake for 30 minutes until chickpeas are hot and onions are tender.
- Slice each pita in half and heat the pita until just warm enough they are pliable. Open the pocket and spread 1 tablespoon of hummus in each. Follow with a handful of lettuce and 1/4 of the chickpea mixture. Repeat with remaining pita halves. Serve with extra hummus, parsley, and feta if desired.
Tips & Tricks: Make the chickpeas ahead of time. They are great for dinner as a grain bowl- use half for dinner then save the other half for this lunch.
Nutrition: See the information.
- Calories: 669
- Sugar: 10
- Sodium: 1684
- Fat: 30.1
- Carbohydrates: 84.5
- Fiber: 20.9
- Protein: 23.7
- Cholesterol: 0