Given my love of bread, my freezer is packed full of different bread and bread-like items. English muffins, naan, bagels, and pita round out the supply of bread I keep stashed. It's a handy supply for when I don't know what to cook. I love making pita. It's a little effort but there's a certain joy in watching the pita puff up while baking (it's the little things.) This chickpea shawarma pita is my ideal lunch. Full of good protein and is such a warm meal thanks to the spices. As mentioned in the last shawarma recipe I posted, the spice list is long but they are all handy to have in your cupboard for future meals.
Chickpea Shawarma Stuffed Pita
A flavorful vegan sandwich with chickpeas cooked in shawarma spice then stuffed in a pita with hummus and lettuce.
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 2 large servings 1x
- Cuisine: lunch
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups cooked chickpeas (or 1-15 ounce can, drained and rinsed)
- ⅓ cup thinly sliced red onion
- ¼ cup thinly sliced red pepper
- 2 whole wheat pita with pockets
- ¼ cup hummus
- 1 to 2 handfuls chopped lettuce
- Feta, optional
- Parsley, for topping
- Preheat oven to 400˚ F. In a medium bowl, combine minced garlic with spices (cumin through the cayenne pepper). Add in the olive oil and stir until well combined/paste has formed. Stir in the chickpeas, red onions, and red pepper, using a spatula to toss and coat. Transfer chickpeas to a roasting pan and cover with foil. Bake for 30 minutes until chickpeas are hot and onions are tender.
- Slice each pita in half and heat the pita until just warm enough they are pliable. Open the pocket and spread 1 tablespoon of hummus in each. Follow with a handful of lettuce and ¼ of the chickpea mixture. Repeat with remaining pita halves. Serve with extra hummus, parsley, and feta if desired.
- Calories: 669
- Sugar: 10
- Sodium: 1684
- Fat: 30.1
- Carbohydrates: 84.5
- Fiber: 20.9
- Protein: 23.7
- Cholesterol: 0
Variations for the Chickpea Shawarma
The roasted chickpeas are at the heart of this meal. The seasoning is full of flavor and the chickpeas are great when used in a few ways (like served over millet). I really like how handy this recipe is for lunch (especially because you can roast the chickpeas ahead of time.) A few other options include:
Gluten-Free: What I love most about the chickpea base is that it's vegan and gluten-free. For this recipe, try your hand at some gluten-free pita!
Dressing: While I smear a massive amount of hummus on my pita, a drizzle of a lemon vinaigrette adds a nice pop of flavor and moisture to the chickpeas.
Salad: Skip the pita (or toast the pita into pita chips) and take a salad instead!
Featured Ingredient: Chickpeas
Chickpeas are my favorite lunch staple. They can stand in for many items in many forms. One of my favorite items is the chickpea salad sandwich. Not only quite, it's filling and can be made in big batches.