I like to think that during the summer season, I am more creative with my cooking. All the ripe produce is beautiful and there's so much to choose at the markets. Truth is, I'm actually a tad bit lazier. I find myself making meals with all the odds and ends. Those meals are also usually simple at best. It's easy to make a delicious meal, hardly any effort required.
This egg skillet has been a favorite of mine through the years. Zucchini and sweet corn is a true summer staple and I've found it's hard to go wrong with this simple combination. This skillet is straight forward but it's really made with a heavy hand of homemade salsa (seriously, this stuff is the best.) Make this egg skillet for breakfast or lunch- you won't be disappointed.
Zucchini Sweet Corn Hash Egg Skillet
A perfect summer breakfast featuring fresh produce and eggs cooked together in a simple skillet meal. You can easily add grains, legumes, and cheese as desired.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 1 serving 1x
- Cuisine: breakfast
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- ½ small yellow onion, minced
- 1 ½ cups diced zucchini (1 small diced zucchini)
- 1 cup sweet corn kernels (1 ear of sweet corn)
- Juice from ½ lime
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 2 large eggs
- [url]3 to 4 tablespoons roasted tomato salsa, for serving∞https://naturallyella.com/roasted-tomato-salsa/[/url]
- In an 8" skillet, preferably cast iron, heat olive oil over medium-low heat. Dice onion and add to skillet, sautéing until translucent, 6-8 minutes. Stir in zucchini and corn kernels and cook until tender soft, 6-8 minutes. Add lime juice and sea salt and stir.
- Create well in the middle of the zucchini mixture and crack eggs. Turn heat down to low, cover, and let cook until egg yolks are set to desired consistency (5-10 minutes).
- Remove from heat and serve with queso fresco, salsa, and a sprinkle of cilantro.
- Calories: 463
- Sugar: 11.9
- Sodium: 646
- Fat: 21.3
- Saturated Fat: 4.8
- Carbohydrates: 50.1
- Fiber: 7.3
- Protein: 20.7
- Cholesterol: 372
Egg skillets can really be anything you want it to be or made for any type of diet. My favorite thing during the summer is to toss whatever I have on hand which usually includes zucchini. Summer squash would also work well!
Cheese: Top with a sprinkle of feta or queso fresco if desired.
Vegan: Drop the eggs and add a simple tofu scramble.
Avocado: If you have it, top this skillet with fresh avocado or guacamole.
Grains/Legumes: Add a cup of cooked grains or legumes. Lentils, black beans, quinoa, or millet- all solid additions!
I've always found the idea of 'too much zucchini' to be false in my kitchen- I can never have too much. I'll happily take any or all of this summer produce and turn it into quick bread or fritters. Of course, that's just the start. A few of my other favorite zucchini recipes: