Click around the site and you can get a feel for my food likes and dislikes. Mushrooms and tofu are limited while sweet potatoes and quinoa are featured nearly once a week. Smoked paprika is another flavor I use quite a bit. It’s smoky, earthy, and sweet all at the same time. The potatoes soak up this flavor and the blue cheese is such a sharp contrast that it works well wit the smoky flavor. One note: make your blue cheese dressing. It’s easy and so much better than the store-bought dressings.Print
An easy and beautiful winter salad that features Smoked paprika potatoes paired with spinach and an easy, homemade blue cheese dressing.
- 1 pound red potatoes
- 1/2 medium yellow onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- 3 to 4 handfuls baby spinach
- 1/4 cup homemade blue cheese dressing
- Heat oven to 400˚ F.
- Cut potatoes into 1/2″ cubes. Dice onions into similar sized chunks. Place the potatoes and onions in a roasting pan. Mince garlic and add to pan along with the heavy cream, paprika, salt, and pepper flakes. Using a spoon or your hands, toss everything together so that potatoes and onions are coated.
- Bake for 10 minutes, stir, and bake for another 15-20 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Remove and let cool. Make the blue cheese dressing according to directions. Assemble salad with slightly cooled potatoes, spinach, and the dressing.
Tips & Tricks: Let the potatoes cool before tossing with the salad to prevent the greens from wilting.
Nutrition: get the information.
- Calories: 410
- Sugar: 6.2
- Sodium: 831.4
- Fat: 24.8
- Carbohydrates: 43.7
- Protein: 6.2
- Cholesterol: 40.3
Smoked Paprika Potato
The roasted smoked paprika potato is the focal point of this salad but the blue cheese dressing isn’t far behind. There are a few swaps, however, that I’ve made and had the salad come out a success.
Sweet Potatoes: cube sweet potatoes and use in place of the red potatoes.
Olive Oil: Swap out the heavy creamy for a tablespoon of olive oil. I like the richness the heavy cream provides but the olive oil would provide a nice crispness to the potatoes.
Vegan: I really love the blue cheese with the smoked paprika potatoes but this herby hemp dressing would be nice as well. Also use the olive oil option above.
With all the exciting produce on the market, it’s easy to overlook potatoes. I love roasted red potatoes in salads, with eggs in the morning, and as a simple side dish with dinner. A few of my other favorite potato dishes include: