This flavorful dinner can satisfy even the pickiest of eater. The lentils are cooked in a creamy, rich sauce and finished with wilted spinach. Make an extra large batch of the masala paste and freeze for later use.
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 1 1/2 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 2 inch piece of ginger (peeled and cut into pieces)
- 1/8 to 3 teaspoons red pepper flakes (see note)
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons garam marsala
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil (or other nut oil)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/3 cup packed cilantro leaves
- 1 tablespoon olive or coconut oil
- 1 small red onion (diced)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1/3 cup masala paste
- 1 cup stewed tomatoes
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 cup red lentils
- 2 cups spinach (packed)
- 1/2 to 1 cup low-sodium vegetable broth
- To make paste, toast cumin and coriander seeds in skillet until fragrant. Use a mortar and pestle (or a spice grinder) to grind spices.
- In a small food processor, add ginger and pulse until broken into small pieces. Add red pepper flakes, smoked paprika, cumin, coriander, garam marsala, and salt. Pulse a couple more times to incorporate. Next, add nut oil, tomato paste, and cilantro leaves. Pulse until paste forms and everything is well incorporated. Set aside.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat. Melt coconut oil and add diced onion, cooking until translucent, 4-5 minutes. Add in minced garlic and cook for one more minute.
- Stir in masala paste and cook for 1-2 minutes, then add stewed tomatoes and coconut milk. Stir together and bring to a boil.
- Add in lentils and reduce heat to low. Cook, stirring often, until lentils are tender, 20-25 minutes. If liquid has absorbed but lentils are still not tender, add 1/2 cup of vegetable broth and cook until lentils are tender. Remove from heat and fold in spinach.
- Serve with your favorite grain, extra cilantro, and a dollop of plain greek yogurt.
Tips and Tricks: I recommend making this dish once with the minimum amount of red pepper flakes in the masala paste and adding more crushed red pepper before serving if desired. The paste, with 3 teaspoons of red pepper flakes, can be really spicy.
Plan ahead: Find this recipe in the Naturally Ella Real Plans upgrade
Nutrition: find information here
- Calories: 548
- Sugar: 7.5
- Fat: 31.4
- Carbohydrates: 56.3
- Protein: 20.1
- Cholesterol: 0