Delicious and hearty curry chickpea burgers made with kale and scallions then topped with an easy coconut cabbage slaw.
- 3 tablespoons minced toasted cashews
- 1/2 cup cooked chickpeas (drained and rinsed, if using canned)
- 1/3 cup shredded lacinato kale or spinach
- 1/4 cup minced scallions
- 1/4 cup fresh minced flat-leaf parsley
- 2 teaspoons mild curry powder
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 large egg white
- 1/3 cup bread crumbs
- Salt, as needed (see note)
- 1 to 2 tablespoons coconut oil, for frying
- 4 slider buns, for serving
- 2 cups shredded purple cabbage
- 3 tablespoons minced scallions
- 1/4 cup full-fat coconut milk
- Zest and Juice from 1 lime
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Combine cashews and chickpeas in food process in a food processor, pulsing a few times until the cashews are in pieces. Add the parsley, scallions, and kale; pulsing a few more times. Add in the remaining ingredients and pulse until well combined using caution to not pulse into a smooth puree. Let sit while making the slaw.
- Combine the cabbage with the minced scallions, coconut milk, zest, lime juice, and salt. Massage the coconut milk into the cabbage until everything is well combined.
- Heat a large, heavy-bottom large skillet over medium-low heat. Wet your hands with water and divide the chickpea mixture into 4, ½” thick patties. Add the coconut oil to the skillet, swirl around, then add the patties. Cook for 5 to 6 minutes per side. The patties should be crisp and browning on the outside and hot through the middle.
- Assemble the burgers with the slaw and serve immediately.
Tips & Tricks: I like to make a large batch of these burgers and freeze.
Nutrition: see the information.
- Calories: 354
- Sugar: 7.1
- Sodium: 533
- Fat: 17.2
- Carbohydrates: 42.2
- Fiber: 5.4
- Protein: 10.8
- Cholesterol: 0