A flavorful vegetable-based salad using carrots roasted with coconut oil and curry powdered then tossed with fresh herbs, lemon juice, and toasted cashews.
- 1 pound carrots
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil (melted)
- 1 tablespoon mild curry powder
- Salt (as needed)
- 2 teaspoons coconut oil
- ½ cup raw cashews
- ¼ cup unsweetened coconut
- 1/4 cup loosely packed parsley (chopped)
- 1/4 cup loosely packed cilantro (chopped)
- Salt (to taste)
- Fresh lemon juice (to taste)
- Preheat oven to 400˚F. Cut carrots on the bias in ¼” slices. In a roasting pan, toss with the melted coconut oil and the curry powder. If your curry powder doesn’t have salt in the mix, add a pinch to the pan. Toss until the carrots are coated with the coconut oil and curry powder. Roast until the carrots are tender, 25 to 30 minutes. Let cool slightly.
- Heat a small skillet over medium-low heat. Add the coconut oil followed by the cashews. Toast, stirring frequently, until the cashews are browning, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove and set aside. Wipe out the skillet and add the coconut flakes. Toast the coconut until golden.
- When the carrots are done, place in a bowl along with the toasted cashews, coconut flakes, parsley, and cilantro. Add a pinch of salt as needed and squeeze a half of lemon or so over the carrot salad. Toss until everything is well combined and serve.
Tips & Tricks: Make your own curry powder blend or find one from a quality source. I like finding a spice shop and trying different blends.
I don’t peel carrots. Instead I give them a good scrub and that is usually just wha they need.
Nutrition: see the information.
- Calories: 460
- Sugar: 13.7
- Sodium: 171.2
- Fat: 34.1
- Carbohydrates: 36.8
- Fiber: 11.2
- Protein: 9.7