This hearty carrot soup gets help from store bought curry powder and red lentils for an extra boost of protein. Best of all, this soup is gluten-free and vegan.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup scallions (diced)
- 2 cups carrots (diced (about 4 to 5 large carrots))
- 1/2 cup dried red lentils
- 2 teaspoons curry powder (see note)
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger (minced)
- 3 cups veggie broth
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- In a large pot, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add scallions and carrots. Let cook for 4 to 5 minutes or until carrots begin to soften.
- Next, add lentils, curry powder, ginger. Stir and let cook until spices become fragrant, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in veggie broth and bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer, cooking until lentils are soft, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and using either an immersion blender or a regular blender, puree until soup is smooth. Return soup back to stove, stir in coconut milk, and heat soup for another few minutes, adding spices and salt to taste.
Tips & Tricks: Depending on the heat level of your curry powder, you may want to add 1 teaspoon of chili powder to the soup for a bit of extra spice.
Cover the pot while you simmer the lentils and the vegetables. It will help them cook more quickly and you won’t lose as much liquid.
Stock up: get the pantry ingredients you will need: olive oil, curry powder, coconut milk
- Calories: 399
- Sugar: 6.8
- Sodium: 433.3
- Fat: 20
- Carbohydrates: 45.5
- Protein: 14.7
- Cholesterol: 0