A solid pantry staple, these chickpea fritters are light on ingredients but pack a wonderful flavor.
- 1 1/2 cups cooked chickpeas (drained and rinsed if using canned)
- ⅓ cup minced flat-leaf parsley
- ¼ cup scallions (whites and greens)
- 1 large egg
- ⅓ cup whole wheat panko
- 1 tablespoon Ras El Hanout spice (see note)
- ½ teaspoon salt (see note)
- Oil (for frying)
- Place chickpeas in a large bowl. Using a potato masher, mash chickpeas until almost all the chickpeas are broken down. There should be some variation in textures. Stir in the remaining ingredients and let sit while skillet is heating.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add enough oil to coat the bottom of the pan. Divide the chickpea mixture into 8, ½” thick patties. Place in the hot oil and cook until crisp and golden, 4 to 5 minutes per side.
- Serve as topping for salads or on their own sprinkle with feta/parsley.
Tips & Tricks: I like using this Ras El Hanout Recipe but you could use store-bought or a different spice blend.
Nutrition: see the information.
- Calories: 286
- Sugar: 6.5
- Sodium: 946
- Fat: 6.4
- Carbohydrates: 43.5
- Fiber: 11.7
- Protein: 15.8
- Cholesterol: 93