Steel Cut Oats with Citrus Curd

Hello! You've landed on an older recipe. Sometimes the older recipes aren't written as clearly as they should be or something might need to be clarified. If something seems confusing or a question arises, send me an email and I'll help!

Steel Cut Oats with Citrus Curd and Almonds
|Recipe in partnership with Bob's Red Mill|

I am a firm believe in having a small amount of decadence in my life. I try to eat healthy 90% of the time but the other 10% of the time is reserved for rich meals, croissants, and sweet treats. I lived a chunk of my life afraid of those items but I'm so glad they've found their way back into my diet. I consider this citrus curd in the 10%. Most of the time I eat my oatmeal with fresh fruit but in the middle of winter, when I want something bright, I reach for this curd. My favorite is lemon but this citrus curd is a mix of blood orange, lemon, and lime. Just enough tartness from the lemon and beautiful color from the blood orange.


Steel Cut Oats with Citrus Curd

  • Author: Erin Alderson
  • Prep Time: 10 mins
  • Cook Time: 20 mins
  • Total Time: 30 mins
  • Yield: 2 servings 1x






  1. Prepare curd according to directions the night before. Use maple syrup in place of honey and the citrus for the citrus juice. Store in an airtight container and cool overnight.
  2. In the morning, combine milk and water in a pot. Bring to a simmer, add oats and salt, reduce heat, cover, and cook for roughly 15 minutes (add/subtract time as desired for consistency). Remove from heat and let sit for 5 minutes.
  3. To serve, divide the oats into two bowls, add a few tablespoons of curd, and sprinkle with toasted almonds.


Recipe for curd from Cookie and Kate.


step by step

Steel Cut Oatmeal/Citrus Curd


I'm no stranger to pairing my breakfast with curd but the curd is such a wonderful compliment to the creaminess of the steel cut oats. I also love that I can make a big batch of curd to eat throughout the week.

Citrus: I never make curd the same way twice (unless it's lemon, I make a lot of lemon curd). Experiment with a different array of citrus: grapefruit, Meyer lemon, lime, and any variety of oranges are a good place to start.

Vegan: Obviously the recipe above is pretty far from vegan. If you're looking to make a vegan citrus curd, start here.

Make-ahead: If you want oats quicker in the morning, you can make steel cut oats overnight.

Steel Cut Oats with Citrus Curd

| Disclosure: This recipe was created for Bob's Red Mill. All thoughts and opinions are my own. It's content like this that helps me keep this site running to provide the vegetarian recipes you see every week. |

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Recipe rating 5 Stars 4 Stars 3 Stars 2 Stars 1 Star

7 comments on “Steel Cut Oats with Citrus Curd”

  1. Bob's steel cut are my winter favorite (I love making a big pot on the weekend to eat all week long. What a lovely way to make them just a tiny bit decadent—exactly what I need on this chilly day!

  2. I love any oat recipe, but I especially love your thoughts on balance and embracing that 10%, Erin. There's so much freedom and pleasure that comes from embracing indulgence!

    Meanwhile, now I want to try my hand at vegan curd. Aquafaba? Seems like all of the cool kids are using it for everything these days...

  3. Love your thoughts on finding balance in your eating life. The color of the creamy orange curd is inviting. I have never made curd and like that you have provided a vegan option. Will have to try them both!

  4. I'm more of an 80/20 person right now, and my life needs 100% more citrus curd. And with oats--genius, especially for the blood sugar! I can't eat a sugar bomb first thing in the morning.

  5. Sounds absolutely delicious! I loved your use of sunflower seeds and lemon curd with your other oat/curd post. I've never made curd before, but Reading Week is coming up soon and I know just what I'll be doing one dreary afternoon. Thanks for the lovely post, Erin!


Welcome to my little internet nook. On this site you'll find over a thousand vegetarian recipes, pantry knowledge, and more. I'm ever obsessed with food from gardening, cooking, and preserving. I hope you'll find endless inspiration on these pages and visit often. 

Virtual hugs, Erin (aka: e.l.l.a.)

a few good grain recipes

Do away with ads, get access to the back issues of casual, be the first to know about upcoming events, and more.
become a member

beans. beans. beans.

Have a nerdy food question, need a recipe recommendation, or just want to share something exciting you've made?
magnifiercross linkedin facebook pinterest youtube rss twitter instagram facebook-blank rss-blank linkedin-blank pinterest youtube twitter instagram