Post sponsored by Pete and Gerry's Organic Eggs. See below for more details.
In the realm of fall cooking, Brussels sprouts are king in my kitchen. We're constantly eating oven roasted Brussels sprouts as a side or tossing them into grain bowls. They are quick, easy, and delicious. This dish is a slight update on the basic roasted Brussels. It combines fennel-toasted breadcrumbs and perfect soft-boiled eggs for an impressive side (or lunch, if you're me)!
Roasting: Brussels Best Friend
Over the years, oven roasted Brussels sprouts have made their way onto every holiday table. For me, it all started with my Aunt. Her Brussels sprouts were always perfect in texture and caramelization. Sure, you can use Brussels sprouts raw or even steam them but there’s nothing as magic as oven roasting them.
There are recipes that call for blanching the sprouts first. It’s just not needed, especially if slice the Brussels in half before cooking. Simply lather the brassicas up with a bit of olive oil and let them roast, usually a bit past when you would want to pull them out.
Also, my favorite part: the crispy leaves. I purposely trim a small bit of the end of each Brussels sprout. This helps a few leaves fall off. During the roasting process, the leaves get extra crispy- think kale chips!
It’s really all about the eggs
I have a weakness for eggs and Brussels sprouts together. That’s partially where this recipe came into creation. I’ve also been a bit in love with these jammy six-minute eggs. The texture of the egg yolk is a bit more firm than that of an over-easy egg which makes it a lovely salad or vegetable topping.
Plus, using Pete and Gerry’s Organic Eggs ensures that my eggs are coming fresh from local, small family farms. These farms take great care of their land and chickens. Plus, it’s a family affair. Since Pete and Gerry’s partners with over 40 small family farms across the country. Their eggs are also Certified Humane Free Range, which means the chickens are actually free to roam.
Making your breadcrumbs
While you could use store-bought breadcrumbs, homemade really shine with these oven roasted Brussels sprouts. This is also a way to use up any leftover bits of bread or those heels that might get left behind.
Simply tear or cut the bread into thumb-sized pieces and stick in the oven right before you prep the Brussels sprouts. Bake until they are golden and firm, around 15 to 20 minutes depending on the size of the pieces. Once they cool slightly, whiz them in a food processor or blender until they are crushed.
Final note, this recipe may seem straightforward with the exception of the fennel. I love the strong, anise-like flavor of the fennel seeds and I think it works well with the roasted Brussels sprouts without being overpowering. If you don’t have it on hand, you could just leave it out (but I think you would be missing out on a good flavor combination!)
Oven Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Jammy Eggs
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: side dish
- Method: oven
- 1 pound Brussel Sprouts
- 2 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 4 large Pete and Gerry’s Organic Eggs
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon fennel seeds
- ⅓ cup breadcrumbs
- Zest from ½ a lemon
- Heat your oven to 425˚F. Slightly trim the ends from the Brussels sprouts and slice in half. Place on a sheet tray and toss with the minced garlic, olive oil, and salt. Place in the oven and roast until tender; 20 to 25 minutes.
- While the Brussels sprouts are roasting, make the breadcrumbs. Heat a small pan over medium heat. Add the olive oil, followed by the fennel seeds. Toast the seeds for a minute or two, just until fragrant. Stir in the breadcrumbs and continue to cook/toast until the breadcrumbs are golden. Turn off the heat and add in the lemon zest.
- Next, bring a pot of water to a boil. Add in the eggs and keep at a low boil. Cook the eggs for exactly 6 ½ minutes. Transfer the eggs directly to an bowl filled with ice water and let rest until the Brussels sprouts are done.
- When the Brussels sprouts are tender, transfer to a serving tray and toss with half the breadcrumbs. Crack, peel, and then slice the eggs in half. Nestle into the Brussels sprouts and top with more breadcrumbs before serving.
Notes: Jammy soft-boiled egg recipe is from Bon Appetit.
Keywords: oven roasted brussels sprouts, roasted brussels sprouts
Disclosure: This recipe was created in partnership with Pete and Gerry's Organic Eggs. All thoughts and opinions are my own. It's content like this that helps me keep this site running to provide the vegetarian recipes you see every week. |