This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of BUSH’S® Beans. All opinions are 100% mine.
Beyond the obvious (grains), there are a few rules I have for grain bowls. The first: get a solid protein. I’m using BUSH’S® Organic Kidney Beans for this bowl but any variety of bean is solid. Beyond the protein, I make sure to load up on vegetables because I pretty much make everything with about half vegetables.
BUSH’S® Organic Kidney Beans
I realize kidney beans might not be your first choice for a recipe like this but hear me out. I love kidney beans, primarily for their texture. BUSH’S® Beans Organic Kidney Beans have the perfect texture: not too soft. The beans are the perfect main star for a bowl like this particular grain bowl.
If you’re unsure about the kidney beans in this recipe, BUSH’S® has a line of flavored beans perfect for this type of grain bowl. I highly recommend checking out their Southwestern Style Pinto Beans.
The best thing about grain bowls: they are ever forgiving on the vegetables. For this recipe I’m using the ever-delicious summer grilled vegetables but that’s just the start. Sautéed greens, roasted squash, or pan-fried asparagus would all be delicious with these kidney beans.
Toppings. All the toppings.
Finally, we finish strong. Top these bowls with your favorite salsa, hot sauce, guacamole, cheese, toasted pepitas, cilantro, and/or pickled vegetables. Go wild- it’s really a great way to bring everything together!
Grilled Summer Veg Bowl with Kidney Beans
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 35
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: 2 large servings or 3-4 smaller servings
- Category: dinner
- Method: stove-top
1 cup uncooked short grain brown rice
1 bell pepper
½ medium red onion
1 small zucchini
1 tablespoon olive oil
Salt and pepper
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 clove garlic, minced
1 15oz Can BUSH’S® Organic Kidney Beans, drained and rinsed
Salt, to taste
¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
Zest from half a lime
Avocado, for serving
Cotija, for serving
Hot Sauce, for serving
- Combine the rice with 2 cups of water in a pot. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook until the rice is tender and the water has been absorbed; about 45 minutes.
- While the rice is cooking, preheat the grill and prep the vegetables and beans. Cut the bell pepper into large slices, peel and slice the onion into ¼” thick slices, and cut the zucchini into ¼” thick slices. Toss all the vegetables with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Grill until the vegetables are tender and charring.
- To make the beans, heat a medium skillet over medium-low heat. Add the olive oil, followed by the garlic. Cook for a minute or so, just until the garlic is starting to brown. Add the beans to the skillet and cook just until hot. Remove from heat and stir in the crushed red pepper and lime zest. Toss to coat the beans, cover, and let sit until the rice is done.
- To assemble, divide the rice into desired number of bowls. Dice the grilled vegetables and add to the bowls along with the beans. Top with desired toppings and serve.
Keywords: veg bowl