During the winter months, we eat porridge and oats at least three times a week. I switch up the grains, change the produce, and use as many toppings as possible. We always have sweet potatoes on hand and usually puree pre-made, making this porridge a delicious breakfast option. If you have never tried einkorn before, breakfast is the perfect time. The wheat is mild but adds the perfect amount of warmth.
Sweet Potato Einkorn Porridge
A creamy fall porridge with toasted cracked einkorn mixed with sweet potato puree- perfect for a hearty fall breakfast.
- 1/2 cup whole einkorn berries
- 1/2 cup whole milk or almond milk
- 1 cup water
- Pinch of salt
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup
- 1/2 cup mashed sweet potatoes
- Pecans, toasted
- Heavy Cream or almond milk, for serving
- Maple Syrup, for serving
- Cinnamon powder, for serving
- In a small pot, add the einkorn and toast over medium heat until fragrant. Let cool and transfer to a food processor or blender. Pulse until the einkorn in cracked into big pieces, usually 5 to 6, 1 second pulses.
- Return the cracked einkorn to the pot and add the milk, water, salt, and maple syrup. Bring to a simmer, cover, and cook over low heat until the einkorn is tender and the porridge is thick, 35 to 45 minutes. Add more water/milk as needed to keep a good porridge consistency. Add the mashed sweet potatoes and stir until combined and heat.
- Place in a bowl and top with your favorite toppings: pecans, cream, maple syrup, and/or cinnamon.
Tips & Tricks: Batch cook the einkorn and you can reheat the einkorn with extra milk.
Nutrition: see the information.
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 561 Calories from fat|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 8.7||13%|
|Saturated Fat 4.7||24%|
|Dietary Fiber 16.2||65%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|
This einkorn porridge has many variations, all of which end up delicious. A couple of my favorite: Maple Carrot Cracked Oats with Warm Raisins or Sweet Potato Cracked Spelt with Toasted Walnuts.
Puree: Try using other vegetable puree, especially butternut squash or carrot.
Grains: Any type of hearty grain will work like this porridge: oats, spelt, farro, or millet.
Fruit: Drop the sweet potatoes from the porridge and top with roasted stone fruits, fresh berries, or a citrus curd.
There are so many different grains, and varieties of wheat, that I’m always switching up what I keep stocked in my pantry. Einkorn is such a wonderful grain that has a warm, buttery flavor. I find myself reaching for the flour more often than the whole grains but each has a place in my recipes.