- 4 good sized Hatch Chiles
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 small red onion
- 1 ear sweet corn
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon dried Mexican oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chipotle chile powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup cooked brown rice
- 2 ounces queso fresco or mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup whole milk plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 2 tablespoons minced cilantro
- 2 teaspoons honey
- Preheat broiler and place chiles in a roasted pan. Place under broiler for 1-2 minutes until chiles are blistering. Remove from oven and let cool.
- In a medium skillet, heat olive oil over medium-low heat. Mince onion and add to pan, cooking until translucent, 5-6 minutes. Remove corn kernels from cob, add to pan, and continue to cook for 3-4 more minutes. Combine spices, pepper, salt, and brown sugar in a bowl. Add to the pan along with the 1/4 cup of water. Stir until spices are mixed in. Add cooked rice and continue to heat for 1-2 minutes until rice is hot.
- Divide mixture into the four chiles and top with cheese. Return pan to under the broiler and heat until cheese is melted and lightly browning, 1-2 minutes.* Remove from oven.
- To serve, whisk together yogurt, lime juice, cilantro, and honey. Spoon over peppers and sprinkle with extra cilantro if desired.
*I keep the rack in the middle of my oven, which can effect the time. Never leave anything under the broiler unattended as it’s really easy to burn food. Check after 20-30 seconds and go from there.