A while back ago I declared something along the lines of not really liking sandwiches. I think I may need to add an addendum to that statement.
Messy grilled cheese sandwiches are amazing.
Toasted bread, melty cheese, and creamy spreads make for one perfect sandwich (like this hummus one!) However, this sandwich today may be my favorite. I have a soft spot for roasted tomatoes and eggs together.
Don’t be fooled though- this sandwich isn’t just for breakfast. It’s perfect for any meal.
The roasted tomato spread can be made in advance and stored in the refrigerator until ready to used. Also, any type of bread works and while I would have normally used wheat, I had a delicious loaf of sourdough waiting to be used.
- 1/2 lb roma tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 clove garlic
- 5-6 basil leaves
- 2 eggs
- 3-4 oz mozzarella
- 4 pieces of bread (I really love sourdough for this)
- olive oil for brushing
- Preheat oven to 400˚.
- Slice roma tomatoes in half and toss with olive oil and salt. Place on a covered baking tray and roast for 40-50 minutes. Tomatoes should be soft and beginning to brown.
- In a food processor, add clove of garlic and pulse until minced. Add in roasted tomatoes and basil. Pulse until mixture is spreadable.
- In a skillet, cook eggs. For a sandwich I usually prefer a fried egg with the yolk broken but scrambled would work just as well (or for an even messier sandwich, over-easy.)
- Lightly brush olive oil on outside parts of bread and assemble sandwich with cheese, spread, and egg (I usually do cheese on the outside edge and spread/eggs on the inside. Cook over medium-low in a skillet until cheese is melted and outsides are toasted, 10-15 minutes.