- 1/2 lb roma tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 clove garlic
- 5–6 basil leaves
- 2 eggs
- 3–4 oz mozzarella
- 4 pieces of bread (I really love sourdough for this)
- olive oil for brushing
- Preheat oven to 400˚.
- Slice roma tomatoes in half and toss with olive oil and salt. Place on a covered baking tray and roast for 40-50 minutes. Tomatoes should be soft and beginning to brown.
- In a food processor, add clove of garlic and pulse until minced. Add in roasted tomatoes and basil. Pulse until mixture is spreadable.
- In a skillet, cook eggs. For a sandwich I usually prefer a fried egg with the yolk broken but scrambled would work just as well (or for an even messier sandwich, over-easy.)
- Lightly brush olive oil on outside parts of bread and assemble sandwich with cheese, spread, and egg (I usually do cheese on the outside edge and spread/eggs on the inside. Cook over medium-low in a skillet until cheese is melted and outsides are toasted, 10-15 minutes.