If you know me, you know that 80% of the time I don't wear make-up or do my hair. I grew up a complete tomboy and followed my dad around everywhere. I played hockey, learned about tools, and could probably still remember how to change brake pads if I tried hard enough. This way of life, however, did not lend itself to learning about all the girly things I probably should have. And while I'm making up for lost time, I'm still pride myself that I can be ready to walk out of the house is 20 minutes if need be. There are days when I put a pep in my step and take the extra effort.
My food style is quite similar- no fuss and if it's not headed for a photo, it never looks as nice. Why worry about style when it's just going to be demolished in half the time it took to make (or less)? And yet sometimes, when I'm not photographing, I find myself wanting to take a little extra time and make my lunch something a little fancier. Don't be fooled though, this asparagus crostini is still super easy to throw together- it just looks a bit fancier thanks to asparagus meeting the vegetable peeler.
In terms of produce, pea shoots are not to be missed this time of year. I'm currently growing peas in one of my garden boxes and more often than not, I end up eating the shoots before I get a ton of peas. Of course, many stores also carry pea shoots as well, often in the section with the sprouts.
Pea Shoot and Asparagus Crostini with Hummus
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 2 mins
- Total Time: 17 mins
- Yield: 2 servings 1x
- 4 to 5 stalks asparagus
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 4 slices whole grain baguette, toasted
- ⅓ cup hummus
- 1 cup pea shoots
- ½ ounce feta
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons honey
- Pinch Salt and Pepper
- Using a vegetable slicer, shaving asparagus into thin strips. Heat 1 teaspoon of olive oil over medium heat and add the asparagus. Cook for 30 to 60 seconds, just to heat the asparagus.
- In a bowl, combine asparagus with pea shoots and feta.
- Smear hummus over pieces of toast and top with the asparagus mixture.
- Whisk together the ingredients for the dressing and drizzle over the crostini before serving. Save leftover dressing for later use.