Given this whole month revolved around lunch, it felt right to finally share my recipe for egg salad. For the longest time I shied away from mayo-based salads but over the years, they’ve grown on me. The key, I’ve found, is just enough mayo to hold the salad together and not a scoop more (plus lots of herbs). Better yet? I made this ramen bowl with eggs for dinner, cooked a few eggs for a little longer, and made egg salad for the next day- it’s a win/win situation!Print
- 4 hard-boiled eggs (see note)
- 1 tablespoon fresh minced dill
- 1 tablespoon minced flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh chives
- 2 tablespoon minced scallions
- 3 tablespoons mayo
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon brown mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 slices of toasted bread
- 1 to 2 handfuls spinach, lettuce, or arugula
- Peel eggs and place in a bowl. Chop/mash with fork, leaving some bigger pieces. Add the herbs, scallions, mayo, lemon juice, mustard, salt, and pepper. Mix well, taste, and add more salt/pepper as desired (see note).
- Assemble sandwich with an extra slather of mustard as desired.
+ I’m always adjusting the amount of salt, pepper + mustard based on my taste. Play around with the amounts and adjust as desired.
Do a search for egg salad in Google and there would be endless pages of recipes. I don’t deviate much from the recipe above because it’s taken me years to create an egg salad I love. However, I have a few suggestions to help you up your egg salad game (or even make it vegan!)
Add Crunch: I don’t always have celery around but when I do, I add small pieces to the egg salad along with a handful of sunflower seeds.
Add Avocado: Whip avocado and use it with or in place of the mayo.
Make it vegan: Use tofu and vegan mayonnaise! Drain tofu as much as possible, press between towels to get it dry then crumble and mix as you would the egg.
It’s probably no surprise that I have a lot of recipes that are egg based and that I almost always have hardboiled eggs in my refrigerator. They make for great snacks, quick lunches (like this egg salad), and make for a great way to add protein to salads. A few other of my favorite hard boiled egg recipes: