If you follow me on instagram, this recipe may look vaguely familiar. I posted a paired down version that I had thrown together for lunch from two other recipes I had worked on the same week. Since then, I’ve eaten a version of this bowl nearly every day. This version has been slightly gussied up thanks to the addition of hard boiled eggs (a staple in my kitchen right now) and a bit of ginger/honey thrown in with the soy sauce.
These are my favorite types of meals and a good reminder that ‘leftovers’ do not always have to mean a full meal. I love having leftover grains and leftover vegetables to combine into something brand new (helps keep the ‘leftovers’ feeling exciting!) I recommend making a big batch of grains and hard boiled eggs ahead of time, then you always have a meal!
Hard Boiled Egg and Brussels Sprout Bowl
- 3 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 cups shredded Brussels sprouts
- 1/3 cup sliced shallot
- 2 cups cooked grain (pearl couscous, quinoa, or kamut- see note)
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger
- 2 hardboiled eggs
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
- In a large pan, heat olive oil over medium-low heat. Add the brussels sprouts and shallots then cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add in the previous cooked (or just cooked) grain and continue to cook for another minute or two. Whisk together the soy sauce, honey, and ginger in a small bowl then add to the Brussels sprout mixture.
- Divide the brussels sprout mixture into two bowls. Slice the eggs and finish with a sprinkle of sesame seeds.
by Erin Alderson
I'll also often just use the soy sauce and leave out the ginger/honey.