Over the past months, I’ve stockpiled a list of tv shows and movies I wanted to watch in anticipation of the first few weeks after the baby is born. I’m normally don’t spend a ton of time on either, but usually one weekend evening is reserved for movie time with M. We grab all the pillows from the house, curl up on the couch, grab a few snacks, and settle in for a movie (this has become even more of an affair since we purchased and actually started using a 3D tv- I was skeptical at first but it’s actually really cool).
The snacks for the evening usually revolved around our favorite tapas meal of olives, cheeses, and fruits but I always make sure we have a big bowl of popcorn ready to go as well. Who ever paired popcorn and movies together was pretty much amazing (and it turns out, there’s quite a story behind popcorn/the movies).
At any rate, I usually mix it up every week. Some weeks I go spicy (like this adobo version) and some weeks I like a simple sweet version. This particular version is a slight riff on this honey-almond popcorn which is from The Fauxmartha. (and revisiting this post makes me want to go to the drive-in this summer!) Print
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons organic cane sugar, plus extra for dusting
- ½ cup popcorn kernels
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 to 2 tablespoons cinnamon
- Heat oil over medium-low heat with 3-4 kernels. When the oil and kernels begin to sizzle, add the remaining kernels and toss to coat. Once coated, sprinkle sugar on top and cover with a lid.
- Every few seconds shake the pot back and forth so that no kernels burn (give it a good shake!) Continue to do this through the popping.
- Once popping has slowed to hardly no sounds, remove from heat, sprinkle with sea salt, 1 tablespoon cinnamon, honey and extra sugar as desired. Give it a good shake to coat with cinnamon (but make sure you’re doing this while it’s still hot!)
- This popcorn also keeps well in a plastic bag for a couple of days!