This weekend marks 36 weeks for me and this pregnancy. It’s hard to believe time is coming to end but we couldn’t be more excited to meet this baby. However, these past couple of weeks, I’ve really slowed down which if you know me, you would also know is very unsettling. I’ve had good days and I’ve had bad days, which leads to work not getting done and me getting really down on myself for not being able to do the things I need to do (luckily M is really good at talking me out of this and usually all he has to do is remind me that I’m pregnant).
This slowness has translated into the kitchen which means meals that are simple. I’ve been eating a ton of eggs as of late and one of my favorite pairings is with a hearty noodle bowl. This pesto noodle bowl comes together easily and instead of using all basil, I like to mix it up and toss some spinach in as well for added nutrients (and really, it’s still super flavorful). I also keep a small jar of chili paste in the refrigerator (usually in place of sriracha) for meals like this (although right now, any spice is too much!) Feel free to use whatever type of noodles you might like- I usually mix it up between udon, soba, or for a gluten-free version, brown rice.
Chili Spinach Pesto Noodle Bowl
- 8 ounces soba or udon noodles
- 4 hardboiled eggs, for serving
- Toasted Sesame seeds, for serving
- 1 1/2 cup baby spinach
- 1/2 cup basil
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons toasted pine nuts
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon chili paste
- Cook noodles according to package. Drain and rinse well.
- Combine ingredients for the pesto through the salt in a food processor or blender and blend until well combined, adding more olive oil if needed to make smooth. Stir in a small bit of chili paste, taste, and add more if desired (for personal spiciness preference).
- In a bowl, combine noodles with pesto. Serve with noodle bowl with sliced hardboiled eggs and a sprinkle of toasted sesame seeds.
by Erin Alderson