I once declared on this site that sandwiches weren't my thing. I much preferred toast covered with ingredients over ingredients sandwiched between two thick slices of bread. For me, it is all about the ingredients, not the bread.
I think I forgot about one thing: grilled cheese sandwiches.
Don't get me wrong- I love cheesy melted crostini but there is something so fundamentally right about a grilled cheese sandwich. The way the cheese oozes out and that no matter how messy, you can still eat the sandwich with your hands.
I mean, I've been known to make grilled cheese before (like my hummus and grilled cheese or my roasted tomato and egg grilled cheese) but I guess I occasionally forget how amazing a grilled cheese sandwich can be.
This sandwich is the result of having onions from the CSA that didn't dry right and needed to be eaten soon along with a few tablespoons of pesto left over from the pesto potato skillet. You could use any cheese here but I prefer the mild taste of the mozzarella which doesn't overpower the flavor of the pesto and caramelized onions. If you plan ahead, you can make a big batch of caramelized onions and use them for a few meals (they make a wonderful addition to homemade pizza)!
Also, for an added flavor, replace the caramelized onions with balsamic onions-yum!Print
Caramelized Onions, Pesto, and Grilled Mozzarella Sandwich
- ½ recipe for pesto
- 1 recipe for caramelized onions
- 1-2 tomatoes
- 2-3 ounces whole milk mozzarella
- 4 pieces crusty bread
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Start caramelized onions (or do ahead of time.)
- Brush the outsides of the bread with olive oil and heat a griddle to medium-low heat.
- Smear 2-3 tablespoons of pesto on the inside of one of the slices and then layer tomatoes, caramelized onions, and mozzarella cheese. Cover with remaining piece of oiled bread.
- Cook on each side until crusty and cheese has melted.