I will forever be a proponent of 'throw something together' cooking. A good chunk of these meals, while inspired by other recipes and travel, come from a place of 'what's in my house right now.' Some time ago I posted a pita pizza with broccolini on instagram and realized that it was really a recipe I should share. I like to keep my flatbreads simple: a solid vegetable topping, a bit of flavor, and cheese- no sauce needed. This broccolini flatbread is easy and a lovely presentation.Print
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 25 mins
- Yield: 2 good-sized servings 1x
- 4 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 clove garlic
- 10 to 12 stalks of broccolini
- ⅓ cup scallions
- 2 to 3 ounces shredded mozzarella
- Olive Oil, for topping
- Chili Flakes, for topping
- ½ pizza dough (store-bought or homemade)
- In a small skillet, heat olive oil over low heat. Add garlic, turn off heat, and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 450˚. Roll the pizza dough out in a rectangle that is roughly 8” by 12”. Transfer to an oiled or parchment covered baking tray.
- Rub dough half the olive oil over the dough and in a bowl, toss the remaining olive oil with the broccolini and scallions. Lay the broccolini over the crust and sprinkle any extra scallions over the broccolini.
- Sprinkle with shredded mozzarella and bake for 15 to 18 minutes until crust is crisp and broccolni is lightly charring. Remove, drizzle with olive oil and chili flakes, and cut before serving.
If you've never had broccolini before, I recommend picking some up if you can find it. It's a bit more tender than regular broccoli and has a slightly more mild flavor. It's perfect to just toss on this quick cooking flatbread as it cooks and crisps up nicely. A few other ideas:
Cauliflower: If you can't find broccolini, try cauliflower or quartered brussels sprouts- I love both on flatbreads.
Cheese: With such minimal flavors, I really rely on the flavor of the smoked cheese to support the vegetables. If you can't find any smoked cheese, try another solid cheese like goat.
Crust: For the lunch I posted on instagram, I did a pita pizza. If you want something quick and fast, use pita as a base instead of pizza dough- it's the perfect (one-person) 15 minute lunch!