"Learn how to cook -- try new recipes, learn from your mistakes, be fearless and above all have fun."
Today is Julia Child's 100th birthday and it felt right to share something with butter in the title. Her cooking styles and words permeate so much of this blog and my cooking styles. Use fresh ingredients, eat real food, and truly enjoy what you are doing.
I mean, that's what life is all about, right?
Happy Birthday, Julia. May you continue to inspire many more generations in years to come.Print
Vanilla Bean Pancakes with Maple Butter Pears
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 25 mins
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 2 1x
- ½-¾ cup milk
- 1 vanilla bean
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon nut oil
- 1 large pear
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2-3 tablespoons maple syrup
- cinnamon to top
- To make pancakes, scrap out vanilla bean into a small sauce pan and add ½ cup milk with vanilla bean pod. Heat to a scald and set aside to let cool slightly.
- In a medium bowl, combine whole wheat pastry flour, baking powder, and salt. In a separate bowl,whisk together with the maple syrup, eggs, and oil. Remove vanilla bean from milk and pour with egg mixture over dry ingredients. Stir just until combined-don’t over mix. If batter thickens too much (and isn’t easily pourable) and a bit more milk.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat. When skillet is hot (if you flick water onto the skillet, it should sizzle), take about ¼ cup of batter and pour onto skillet. Let cook for 1-2 minutes (until the pancakes begins to bubble slightly. Flip and let cook for another 1-2 minutes until pancake is cooked through.
- To make pears, melt butter in a medium skillet. Core pears, slice into thin slices (around 1/16"), and add to butter. Stir in 2 tablespoons of maple syrup and continue to cook over medium-low heat until pears are soft. Add more maple syrup if you like a little extra sweetness.
- Serve pancakes with a healthy scoop of pears, liquid, and a sprinkle of cinnamon.