An easy dinner this pizza features spinach and fennel paired with a homemade tomato sauce and whole wheat dough.
- 1 small head of fennel (4 to 6 oz)
- 1/4 red onion (2 to 3 oz)
- 8 oz mozzarella cheese
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 1 homemade or store bought whole wheat pizza dough
- 1/2 to 1 cup homemade tomato sauce
- fennel fronds (for topping)
- red pepper flakes (for topping)
- parmesan (for topping)
- Preheat oven to 500˚F. If using a pizza stone, place on the highest rack.
- Prepare the pizza topping. Thinly shave the fennel and red onion onion. Toss together in a bowl and set aside. Grate the mozzarella cheese and set aside.
- In a good non-stick surface (like a pizza peel sprinkled with cornmeal), stretch and roll the dough into a circle roughly 12 to 14” in size. Spoon the sauce onto the dough as desired then sprinkle with the baby spinach followed by the fennel mixture. Top with the mozzarella cheese and bake until the crust is golden and cheese browning, 10 to 15 minutes (time depends on how well your oven holds heat- start checking after about 8 minutes).
- Remove pizza from oven and sprinkle with freshly grated parmesan cheese, fennel fronds, and red pepper flakes if desired.
Tips & Tricks: If you plan on making pizza at home quite a bit, invest in a good pizza stone. It’s a fairly inexpensive way to step up your pizza game.
For the fennel, look for fresh fennel that still has the stems and fronds attached. They add a nice bit of greenery to the top of the pizza.
Nutrition: See the information.
- Sugar: 4.6
- Sodium: 964
- Fat: 16.2
- Fiber: 3.8
- Protein: 18.8
- Cholesterol: 50.5