This may sound strange, but fall is all about salads for me, especially arugula salads. I love coming up with salads that look they belong on a harvest table, surrounded by friends and family. As the summer produce is on it’s way out, greens are on their way in. This endive + arugula salad combination is one of my favorites. The flavor is earthy (perfect for fall) and it’s the color that always gets me. I’m partial to the red endives to contrast the green arugula but you can always use whichever endive you can find. This salad would also be delicious with sweet potatoes in place of the red potatoes (but I’m partial the mellow flavor of the red potatoes.)
Roasted Potato, Endive, and Arugula Salad
- 1 pound small red potatoes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 3 red endives
- 2 cups packed arugula
- 1 cup cooked quinoa, cooled
- 1/3 cup sliced almonds
- 2 ounces gorgonzola cheese
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400˚ and bring a pot of water to a boil. Slice potatoes in half and place in boiling water. Parboil until potatoes are just tender, 5-6 minutes. Place in a roasting pan and toss with olive oil, smoked paprika, garlic powder, and sea salt. Roast potatoes until lightly browning, 20-25 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool slightly.
- Trim 1/2" from the bottom of the endives. Chop endives into 1/4" slices and place in a large bowl. Add arugula, quinoa, almonds, and cheese. Add potatoes and toss until combined.
- In a small jar with a lid, combine ingredients for the dressing and shake until well combined. When ready to serve salad, pour over and toss once more.
This post was sponsored by California Endive. All thoughts and opinions are my own.