It is about this time of year that my freezer is full of zucchini bread. I'm looking for ways to creatively use up the rest of the 20+ zucchini that are waiting to be picked. And it's still 90˚. That's where this grilled zucchini dish comes into play. The lemon and labneh along with the za'atar makes for a quick and really flavorful side and you won't have to turn on your oven.
Pairings for Grilled Zucchini
It's rare that I post vegetables as a side, but this recipe definitely falls into that category (it's not really main-dish filling). I however don't have an extremely good main dish on my site to pair with it (it's been on the side of vegetable burgers) but I wanted to share a couple of options. The first is a really nice lentil dish that is heavy on the garlic and the second is a traditional fattoush salad. Either would be good or you could go all out and make the lentils, salad, and these grilled zucchini for a nice weekend feast!
Main: Garlic Lentils. This is really less of a main but more of a perfect companion for the grilled zucchini. However, it's a nice flavor pairing and good bump of protein to the meal.
Salad: Fattoush Salad. Since you will most likely need to pick up sumac for the za'atar mixture, you might as well make this salad which also calls for it (because pita sprinkle with sumac is really good).
Drink: I'm currently stuck on Rosé (and that's okay, because I think it goes nicely with the spices.)
Grilled Zucchini with Lemon Labneh and Za'atar
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Total Time: 20 mins
- Yield: 3 to 4 side servings 1x
- Preheat the grill to medium heat.
- Trim ends off zucchini and cut zucchini in half, horizontally. Take each half, cut in half lengthwise and then cut each zucchini pieces into 3 or 4 wedges. Alternatively, you can cut the zucchini into ¼" thick slices but I prefer the wedges. Toss with olive oil and place on the hot grill. Cook on each side for 3 to 4 minutes, turning once. Zucchini should have nice grill marks and be cooked through.
- In a small bowl, mix together the labneh, lemon zest, lemon juice, and salt.
- Before serving, drizzle the labneh with olive oil and sprinkle the zucchini and labneh with za'atar.