In the grand scheme of vegetarian tacos on Naturally Ella, most, if not all, revolve around using legumes. This is great but I felt it time to share one of my favorite, extremely quick tacos that involved zero beans or lentils. Enter halloumi tacos. I shared these on instagram some time back and since then, I’ve been making them quite often.
These tacos, along with a salsa and two salads, encompass my favorite taco party recipes. I like to keep these halloumi tacos simple: a few greens, the fried halloumi tossed in garlic and cilantro, and topped with a sprinkle of onion and hot sauce.
This taco recipe serves a great base for many different toppings and taco combinations. The halloumi is a mild tasting cheese so it’s all about the garlic, cilantro, and sauces. A few other ways I’ve served these tacos:
Vegetables: Grill (or roast) a zucchini and corn relish- the perfect way to use summer produce. If in the winter months, try squash or sweet potatoes that are chopped into a small dice and roasted until tender.
Sauces: Go crazy with the hot sauce and salsas. Even if I’m only making one variety of taco, I’ll have about five different salsas to choose from. A few of my favorite: roasted tomato salsa, roasted salsa verde, and stone fruit salsa (which is really good with fried cheese!)
Greens: I used a lettuce mix for these tacos but spinach, arugula, or kale would also be really nice with the cheese.
An easy vegetarian taco, the star is the fried halloumi enhanced with garlic and cilantro. These tacos can be a great base for adding roasted or grilled vegetables.
- 4 ounces halloumi or similar frying cheese (see note)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 3 tablespoons minced cilantro
- 4 corn tortillas
- Red onion (for serving)
- Lettuce (for serving)
- Hot sauce (for serving)
- Lime wedges (for serving)
- Cut the halloumi into 4 slices, roughly 1/4″ thick. Heat a frying pan over medium-low heat. Add the olive oil, swirling the pan around to cover the bottom. Lay the halloumi in the oil and fry until golden brown, about 3 minutes. Flip and fry for 2 to 3 more minutes, until both sides are golden. Transfer halloumi to a bowl.
- Turn off the heat to the pan, add the garlic, and sauté for a minute, just to warm the garlic. Add to the bowl with the halloumi along with the minced cilantro. Toss until everything is well combined.
- Assemble tacos with a pinch of lettuce, two slices of the halloumi, a sprinkle of minced onion, and drizzle of your favorite hot sauce or salsa.
Tips and Tricks: Not all halloumi is vegetarian. Check the package and look for an ingredient list that contains ‘vegetarian rennet or microbial rennet’.
Stock up: get the pantry ingredients you will need: corn tortillas, olive oil
- Serving Size: 2 tacos
- Calories: 298
- Sugar: 2.8
- Sodium: 544
- Fat: 18
- Carbohydrates: 24.7
- Protein: 11
- Cholesterol: 50.5
Keywords: halloumi recipe, vegetarian tacos, fried halloumi