Post sponsored by Flatout Flatbread. See below for more details.
With summer approaching, I’m getting into the mindset of meals that require small amounts of cooking, are portable, and feel lighter than my winter fare. Wraps come in handy whether I’m packing a healthier lunch for M or a picnic to go exploring. These hummus wraps are a favorite of mine. A simple salad paired with a layer of hummus and salty-fried cheese (because I believe in a solid balance) all rolled in a light Flatout wrap. It’s the perfect way to pack a healthy lunch without too much effort.
Hummus Wrap with Halloumi
My ideal lunch: salty cheese paired with fresh vegetables and homemade hummus. Look for halloumi in the cheese section of your local Co-op, Trader Joe's, or Whole Foods.
- 2 cups leaf or shredded lettuce
- 1 small carrot about 1/2 cup shredded
- 4 to 5 cherry radishes about 1/4 cup shredded
- 2 scallions minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 ounces halloumi
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup hummus
- 2 Flatout Light Original Wraps
- Wash, dry, and place lettuce in a bowl. Using a box grater, shred the carrots and radish. Add the carrots, radish, and minced scallions to the bowl with the lettuce.
- In a small jar, whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Pour over the lettuce and toss until well coated.
- Cut the halloumi into 4 slices, roughly 1/4" thick. Heat a frying pan over medium-low heat. Add the olive oil, swirling the pan around to cover the bottom. Lay the halloumi in the oil and fry until golden brown, about 3 minutes. Flip and fry for 2 to 3 more minutes, until both sides are golden. Transfer halloumi to a plate.
- Assemble wraps by spreading 2 tablespoon of hummus about 2" from the edge closest to you. Layer with half the salad mixture and two slices of halloumi. Roll, tucking the sides in as you go. Cut in half and repeat with remaining wrap.
by Erin Alderson
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 471 kcal Calories from fat|
|% Daily Value|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|
It’s no secret that I love hummus on sandwiches (specifically grilled cheese). However, A grilled cheese can feel fairly heavy (depending on the bread and cheese). This hummus wrap is a great on-the-go, lighter solution.
Cheese: Halloumi is a bit on the pricier side and not always easy to find. If you’re looking to swap something else in, try fried tofu (a great vegan version) or a crumbly, salt cheese (like feta).
Hummus Flavor: Step up your hummus game. Make your own with roasted garlic, herbs, roasted red pepper, or sriracha for a bit of heat.
Greens: Use whatever greens you might have on hand: kale, spinach, or a mixture of all the greens can be a nice addition.
These Flatout wraps are easy to work with (very soft/pliable) and perfect for an array of fillings. I also love their stone-ground wheat and their gluten-free option. I usually stick with the equation of greens, beans, and cheese but you can easily vary based on what you have on hand or are in the mood for.