Sometimes my laziness leads to some awesome meals. If I had my way, every day I would eat roasted vegetables with a handful of grains and a healthy dollop of hummus. All that needs done is tossing a few chopped vegetables in a roasting dish and waiting for roughly 30 minutes. This meal would fall into a similar category: toss everything together, place in the oven and forget it! I think carrots are an underrated star in the kitchen and I’m always look for more ways to use them. The spices could be subbed out for your favorite (chipotle comes to mind) and I serve it over any grains I happen to have straggling in the refrigerator. This is up there as one of my new favorite gluten-free/vegan meals!
Cumin Braised Carrots and Chickpeas
- 3 carrots, sliced 1/4" thin
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup chickpeas, drained and rinsed if using canned
- 1/4 cup golden raisins
- 1 teaspoon cumin*
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/3 cup vegetable broth
- 2 cups cooked grains (brown rice, millet, or kamut)
- Preheat oven to 375˚.
- In a roasting pan, toss together sliced carrots, garlic, chickpeas, raisins, cumin, salt, and olive oil. Spread out into a thin layer. Add vegetable broth and cover roasting pan with foil.
- Bake carrots for 30 minutes, uncover, and then bake for another 10 minutes. Serve over cooked grains.
by Erin Alderson