When I make a recipe, I try hard to limit the amount of pots and pans I use. I am not a fan of doing dishes and any recipe that uses more than two, I’m usually out (unless I really want the meal!) This is why I love risotto and risotto-like meals so much and this turmeric quinoa is the perfect example. It’s in one pan, the recipe is ready in about 25 minutes with minimal prep, and it is packed full of goodness.
This recipe is inspired by the quinoa risotto I posted from the cookbook, The First Mess. It’s about as far as you can get from traditional risotto but with help from the coconut milk, it’s creamy and filling. I’m also a bit in love with the turmeric/ginger/coconut flavor combination. It’s the perfect fit for a hearty dinner, especially when greens are involved!
A creamy quinoa recipe that mimics a quinoa risotto but with turmeric, ginger, and coconut.
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 large shallot, minced
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
- 2 teaspoons turmeric
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed
- 2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth or water
- 1/2 cup whole-fat coconut milk
- 2 cups shredded dino kale
- Toasted Coconut Flakes, for topping
- Cilantro, for topping
- Heat a medium pan over medium-low heat. Add the coconut oil followed by the minced shallot. Cook until the shallot is fragrant and translucent; 5 to 6 minutes. Stir in the ginger and cook for another minute or two.
- Add in the turmeric and salt. Next, stir in the quinoa followed by the vegetable broth or water. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and let cook until most of the liquid has been absorbed; 12 to 15 minutes.
- Add the coconut milk followed by the shredded kale. Cook until the quinoa is creamy and the kale as wilted to your liking.
- Divide the quinoa into two bowls and top with toasted coconut flakes and cilantro before serving.
Tips + Tricks: I use the full-fat coconut milk from a can. I like to transfer it to a sealable container and shake well before using since most of the canned coconut milk is separate.
Stock up: get the pantry ingredients you will need: quinoa, turmeric, coconut milk
- Serving Size: 1/2 the dish
- Calories: 531
- Sugar: 3.8
- Sodium: 350
- Fat: 24.4
- Carbohydrates: 67
- Fiber: 8.6
- Protein: 15.2
This turmeric quinoa is one of those recipes that if you keep the general idea, you can really change up the ingredients. I primarily love this recipe because it’s a solid and quick pantry meal.
Greens: Any type of green would work in this dish. Spinach, beet greens, turnip greens, or chard- use whatever you have on hand! You could also make these garlicky greens and serve on the side or on top!
Vegetables: During the summer, I love adding roasted zucchini or summer squash into the mix. In winter, roasted butternut squash or kabocha squash and in spring, asparagus!
Grains: I love quinoa for the quick cooking but cracked spelt or farro work well in this dish- the liquid and cooking time both need to be increased!