Flavorful and filling sweet potato tostadas that featured homemade refried black beans, sweet potato puree, and a fresh topping of microgreens.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 clove garlic (minced)
- 1 cup black beans (with liquid)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- Salt (to taste)
- 1 cup mashed sweet potato
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro (minced)
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- Pinch of salt
- 4 corn tortillas
- Microgreens (for topping)
- Cotija Cheese (for topping)
- Hot sauce (for topping)
- Preheat oven to 400˚F.
- Place a small pot or skillet over medium-low heat. Add the olive oil followed by the minced garlic. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes, just to until the garlic begins to brown. Place beans and liquid in a pan with the cumin, coriander, garlic powder, and chili powder. Heat over medium-low heat until the majority of the liquid has been absorbed, 5 to 7 minutes. Taste and add salt as needed.
- Remove the beans from the heat and using a potato masher, mash the beans into a paste-like consistency.
- Combine the sweet potatoes with cilantro and lime juice and set aside. Place the tortillas on a sheet tray and brush with olive oil. Bake until the tortillas are crisp, roughly 10 minutes. (see note).
- Remove the tortillas from the oven and spread a layer of bean mixture on top followed by a layer of sweet potatoes. Top with microgreens, cheese, and a drizzle of hot sauce.
Tips & Tricks: If I don’t feel like turning on my oven, I will use the gas range to char and crisp the tortilla. The result is a tortilla that’s not as crisp but still delicious. Tostadas are traditionally deep fried, so you could also go that route if desired.
Nutrition: see the information.
- Calories: 538
- Sugar: 5.4
- Sodium: 75
- Fat: 7.5
- Carbohydrates: 97
- Fiber: 20.5
- Protein: 25.1