A solid vegetarian sandwich made from mashing chickpeas with homemade peach bbq sauce and topping the sandwich with a vegan tahini slaw.
Peach BBQ Sauce
- 1 lb yellow peaches
- 1 medium shallot (chopped)
- 2 cloves small garlic (smashed)
- ½ jalapeños (see note, chopped)
- 3 tablespoons muscovado sugar (see note)
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon mustard powder
- 2 teaspoons vegan Worcestershire sauce (see note)
- 1 tablespoon tamari or soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 recipe for the tahini slaw
- 1 3/4 cup chickpeas (one can, drained and rinsed)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 4 slices bread or buns (toasted)
- Preheat oven to 400˚F.
- To make peach bbq sauce, bring a pot of water to a simmer. Cut an ‘x’ in the bottom of the peach and drop in the water for 20 seconds. Remove and place in an ice bath to cool. Peel off the skin and roughly chop into cubes. Combine peaches with the shallots, garlic, and jalapeño in a roasting pan. Toss until well combined then roast until peaches release their juice and shallot is starting to brown, 30 to 40 minutes. With about 5 minutes remaining, sprinkle the sugar over the peaches and continue to cook.
- Once the peaches are done, combine with the remaining ingredients in a blender. Puree until smooth. Store in a jar in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- To make the sandwiches, prepare tahini slaw according to directions (I left out the sesame seeds). Place chickpeas in a food processor and pulse 2 to 3 times, just enough to leave a few whole chickpeas. Alternatively, use a potato masher.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat and add the olive oil to the pan followed by the chickpeas. Cook until the chickpeas are warm. Add in roughly 1/2 cup of the bbq sauce and continue to heat until the sauce is hot.
- Assemble the sandwiches with a thick layer of chickpeas and coleslaw. Serve immediately.
Tips & Tricks: Jalapeños: I left 4 to 5 seeds in for a bit of heat- experiment if you like a hotter bbq sauce.
Muscovado sugar: subsitute brown sugar if you can’t find this sweetener. The flavor won’t be quite the same, but it will be close. Worcestershire sauce: This brand is vegan!
Stock up: get the pantry ingredients you will need: tahini, chickpeas, cabbage
Nutrition: see the information.
Links: Peach BBQ Recipe adapted from this recipe.
- Calories: 644
- Sugar: 34.3
- Sodium: 802
- Fat: 18.9
- Fiber: 16.3
- Protein: 25
- Cholesterol: 0