It seems I’m starting out the week with another “Wait, that doesn’t *sound* like a vegetarian recipe!” But, sure enough, it is! If I’m being honest, I was never a huge meatball eater and even less a meatball sandwich eater. And yet, here I am, posting a meatball sandwich for you to try.
I love lentil meatballs. They are super easy to make, freeze well for later, and can be eaten alone, with pasta, or as a sandwich (like this one!) I occasionally whip up a variation of lentil meatballs but for this sandwich, I followed Sara’s recipe. The result is a moist meatball that soaks up the hot sauce. I drizzled a bit of ranch on the sandwich but I’ve also melted blue cheese on top before (and yes, if you like blue cheese, this is the way to go!) I would also recommend throwing a few caramelized onions on the sandwich.
- ½ recipe for Sara's Lentil Meatballs
- ¼ cup Frank's Red hot
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 pieces of naan or pita
- Lettuce for two sandwiches
- Blue Cheese or Ranch (Optional)
- Whip up the meatball recipe according to Sara's directions. While meatballs bake, combine Frank's red hot and butter in a sauce pan. Heat until butter is melted. Taste and add more butter as desired to reach a comfortable spicy/heat level.
- When meatballs are done, toss with the sauce. Layer spinach, then meatballs, and sprinkle (or drizzle) blue cheese or ranch. Serve while still warm.