It’s a hectic Monday but I still wanted to share this recipe. I love the combination of cheddar and cauliflower together, so the addition of roasted garlic takes the whole dish to a new level. I can’t wait to make this dish for a fall dinner. It’s rich (with not being too rich), creamy, and super delicious. If you don’t want to take the time and wait for the roasted garlic, mince a clove or two of garlic and saute it in the butter when making the bechamel. Different flavor but still delicious.
- 1 head of garlic
- 1 small head of cauliflower
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon whole wheat pastry flour
- ½ cup milk
- ¾ cup grated cheddar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 slices whole wheat bread, toasted
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ¼ cup grated parmesan
- Preheat oven to 400˚. Cut off top of garlic head and drizzle 1 tablespoon of olive oil over cloves. Wrap top of head with foil and place in oven and roast until cloves are soft, 30-40 minutes. Remove and let cool slightly.
- Cut cauliflower into 1″ pieces. Combine roughly 3-4 cups of cauliflower with 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a casserole dish. Roast in oven for 15 to 20 minutes or until cauliflower begins to brown. Remove and set aside.
- In a sauce pan, add 1 tablespoon butter and squeeze out 4-5 cloves of roasted garlic. Mash garlic as butter melts. Add flour and let cook over medium-low heat for one minute. Whisk in milk and cook until bechamel has thickened. Remove from heat and melt in cheddar. Pour over roasted cauliflower.
- Combine toast, olive oil, and parmesan in a food processor, pulsing until mixture resembles course bread crumbs. Sprinkle on top of cheese/cauliflower.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes- cheese should be bubbling.