Delicata squash is the star of this simple kale salad. The squash is quick and easy to prepare since the skin can be left on. If you like a little extra heat, I recommend tossing a teaspoon of sambal oelek onto the squash before roasting.
- 1 delicata squash (3/4 lb)
- 4 scallions (diced)
- 2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons sesame seeds
- 2 cups shredded and packed kale
- 1/3 cup dried black lentils
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons brown rice syrup (or honey)
- 1 teaspoon sambal oelek or sriracha
- Preheat oven to 400˚F. Remove the ends from the delicata squash, cut in half down the length and remove the seeds. Cut the delicata squash into ¼” slices. Toss with diced scallions, sesame oil, and sesame seeds. Roast until tender and scallions are browning, 25 minutes.
- In a small pot, combine lentils with 2/3 cup water. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, cover, and let cook until tender, 25 to 30 minutes. Check at the 20 minute mark and add more water as needed. Drain any excess water
- Combine dressing ingredients in a small container with a lid. Shake until well combined. Pour half over the kale and allow to sit while the squash and lentils are cooking.
- Add the cooked squash and lentils to the kale along with the remaining half of the dressing. Toss until everything is combined.
Tips & Tricks: You can use any type of oil for the dressing but I prefer to use a neutral flavored oil. For more sesame flavor, add 1 teaspoon sesame oil to the dressing.
If you want to cook the delicata squash longer to caramelize, wait to add the scallions until the last 10 minutes of cooking.
Nutrition: See the information.
- Calories: 427
- Sugar: 8.7
- Sodium: 356.7
- Fat: 21.2
- Carbohydrates: 52.9
- Protein: 13.7
- Cholesterol: 0