Recipe originally posted on August 8th, 2012. Last updated August 16th, 2015.
Sometimes I daydream about the most random things. Occasionally, I take to daydreaming about owning a traveling food truck and venturing across the United States. (I suppose I have Sarah and Melissa to thank for starting me down this path as they both graciously offered their driveways as parking spots for me.)
With my imaginary truck, I dream of crispy, wood-fire pizzas (this truck makes that possible), fresh spring rolls using ingredients from whatever state I happen to be in, delicious curries (because sometimes I just need curry), freshly baked cinnamon rolls (for when I crave something sweet) and tacos. Tacos every day.
While I won’t have a food truck anytime soon, I made more tacos (because you can never have too many taco recipes). As a result, you can try these delicious vegetarian tacos first hand.
This taco recipe is packed full of cumin-spiced roasted vegetables. That’s it. Call them good. No grains, no beans, just summer vegetable goodness. While there is a long ingredient list, don’t be intimidated. I just used all the vegetables I had in my kitchen at the time. So, if you only used zucchini and sweet corn you would still have one extremely delicious taco.
Oh, and let us not forget the avocado (the quintessential component to any excellent vegetarian taco)!
Summer Vegetarian Tacos with Avocado Cream
The perfect summer recipe, these vegetarian tacos use all the summer produce to make a vegetable loaded taco topped with a creamy avocado sauce.
- 1 small zucchini, diced
- 1 small summer squash, diced
- 1/2 medium red onion, diced
- 1 ear sweet corn, removed from cob
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- 1 medium red pepper, diced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1/3 cup full fat, plain greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup minced cilantro
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 8 corn tortillas
- Feta or goat cheese
- Extra cilantro
- Preheat oven to 400˚ F. Prepare all the vegetables as described and toss with olive oil, minced garlic, salt, and cumin. Roast until tender and lightly brown, 20 to 25 minutes.
- While vegetables are roasting, whip together avocado, greek yogurt, cilantro, and lime juice by hand or in a blender.
- To assemble tacos, warm up tortillas over an open flame or on a heated griddle. Assemble with roasted veggies, avocado cream, a sprinkle of feta or goat cheese, and cilantro.
Tips & Tricks: If you want a bit of protein, black beans or chickpeas would make an excellent addition to this meal!
Nutrition: see the information.
Pairings for Vegetarian Tacos
While you can add beans to these tacos, I love to get my protein from the side dishes. As a result, I almost always have a rice/bean combo on the side and let the vegetables stand on their own. These summer vegetarian tacos are a good kitchen-sink recipe for when you don’t know what to make but have a bounty of produce.
Dessert: Horchata Ice Cream
If you happen to pick up a just-ripe avocado or find a soft avocado on your counter, stick it in your refrigerator. The cold helps to slow down the ripening, which means the avocado is ready to be used when you need it. Also, if you happen to have half an avocado left over, you can try storing it in a container with an onion to keep it from browning.