Recipe originally posted on August 8th, 2012. Last updated August 16th, 2015.
Sometimes I daydream about the most random things. Occasionally, I take to daydreaming about owning a traveling food truck and venturing across the United States. (I suppose I have Sarah and Melissa to thank for starting me down this path as they both graciously offered their driveways as parking spots for me.)
With my imaginary truck, I dream of crispy, wood-fire pizzas (this truck makes that possible), fresh spring rolls using ingredients from whatever state I happen to be in, delicious curries (because sometimes I just need curry), freshly baked cinnamon rolls (for when I crave something sweet) and tacos. Tacos every day.
While I won’t have a food truck anytime soon, I made more tacos (because you can never have too many taco recipes). As a result, you can try these delicious vegetarian tacos first hand.
This taco recipe is packed full of cumin-spiced roasted vegetables. That’s it. Call them good. No grains, no beans, just summer vegetable goodness. While there is a long ingredient list, don’t be intimidated. I just used all the vegetables I had in my kitchen at the time. So, if you only used zucchini and sweet corn you would still have one extremely delicious taco.
Oh, and let us not forget the avocado (the quintessential component to any excellent vegetarian taco)!
The perfect summer recipe, these vegetarian tacos use all the summer produce to make a vegetable loaded taco topped with a creamy avocado sauce.
- 1 small zucchini, diced
- 1 small summer squash, diced
- 1/2 medium red onion, diced
- 1 ear sweet corn, removed from cob
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- 1 medium red pepper, diced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1/3 cup full fat, plain greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup minced cilantro
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 8 corn tortillas
- Feta or goat cheese
- Extra cilantro
- Preheat oven to 400˚ F. Prepare all the vegetables as described and toss with olive oil, minced garlic, salt, and cumin. Roast until tender and lightly brown, 20 to 25 minutes.
- While vegetables are roasting, whip together avocado, greek yogurt, cilantro, and lime juice by hand or in a blender.
- To assemble tacos, warm up tortillas over an open flame or on a heated griddle. Assemble with roasted veggies, avocado cream, a sprinkle of feta or goat cheese, and cilantro.
Tips & Tricks: If you want a bit of protein, black beans or chickpeas would make an excellent addition to this meal!
Stock up: get the pantry ingredients you will need: Avocado, Tortillas, Yogurt
Nutrition: see the information.
- Serving Size: 2 tacos each
- Calories: 325
- Sugar: 7.6
- Sodium: 195
- Fat: 17.7
- Carbohydrates: 13
- Fiber: 9.1
- Protein: 8.2
- Cholesterol: 3.2
Pairings for Vegetarian Tacos
While you can add beans to these tacos, I love to get my protein from the side dishes. As a result, I almost always have a rice/bean combo on the side and let the vegetables stand on their own. These summer vegetarian tacos are a good kitchen-sink recipe for when you don’t know what to make but have a bounty of produce.
Appetizer: Chips and Salsa! I love this Roasted Salsa Verde or you could try your hand at a fermented salsa.
Side: Toasted Garlic Rice and vegetarian refried black beans.
Dessert: Horchata Ice Cream