Step away from buying store-bought pasta with this easy homemade whole wheat pasta. This pasta can be made with or without a pasta maker and is ready in about 45 minutes!
- 2 1/4 cups (315 g) white whole wheat flour or spelt flour (see note)
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 3 large eggs
- Combine the whole wheat flour and salt on a clean, flat surface. Make a well in the middle, crack the eggs into the welll. Using a fork, whisk eggs and slowly begin to incorporate the flour. Keep mixing and once the dough starts to form, switch to your hands and knead the dough until the dough is smooth and no longer sticky (but not stiff). The dough should spring back when pressed. Form into a disk , cover with a damp towel, and let rest for 30 minutes.
- Divide the dough into 8 pieces. Working with one piece at a time, flatten the dough with your hands. Making sure the dough is covered with flour, use an electric or hand crank (see note) and roll the dough into thin sheets. If using a machine, check instructions for desired thickness.
- Continue to make the noodles by using the fettuccine attachment or cut into 1/4-inch wide strips with a knife or pizza cutter. Hang noodles for drying if desired and repeat with remaining dough.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and add noodles. Cook until the noodles float to the top and are tender, 4 to 5 minutes. Drain noodles, transfer to a bowl, and toss with a drizzle of olive oil.
Tips & Tricks:
You can make pasta without an attachment, use a rolling pin to flatten into thin sheets. You want a dough that is not sticky but also not too stiff.
The more I make this dough, the more I realized I needed to add more flour. If you’re hand rolling, you can do without the extra flour but for machines, the dough cannot have any stick to it. This is especially true if you’re using an attachment to make macaroni or rigatoni. I’ve had to go up to 2 1/2 to 2 3/4 cup of flour to insure the right pasta consistency. Go by feel, test a bit of dough and if it sticks, add more flour.
Nutrition: See the information
- Calories: 236 kcal