Creamy spring pasta made with fresh, homemade pasta and tossed with peas and a hearty cream sauce.
1 cup Bob’s Red Mill Organic All-Purpose Flour
1 cup Bob’s Red Mill Organic White Whole Wheat Flour
½ teaspoon fine-ground sea salt
3 large eggs
Water, as needed
3 tablespoons butter
1 to 2 cloves garlic
2 cups sweet peas
1/2 cup heavy cream or half and half
1 cup grated vegetarian friendly parmesan
Salt, to taste
Parmesan, for serving
Cracked black pepper, for serving
- Combine the flours and salt on a clean, flat surface. Make a well in the middle, crack the eggs into the well. Using a fork, whisk eggs and slowly begin to incorporate the flour. Keep mixing and once the dough starts to form, switch to your hands and knead the dough until the dough is smooth, adding a few splashes of water as needed to bring the dough together. The dough should feel barely sticky but feel firm. The dough should also spring back when pressed. Form into a disk , cover with a damp towel, and let rest for 30 minutes.
- Divide the dough into 8 pieces. Working with one piece at a time, flatten the dough with your hands. Making sure the dough is covered with flour, use an electric or hand crank (see note) and roll the dough into thin sheets. If using a machine, check instructions for desired thickness.
- Continue to make the noodles by using the fettuccine attachment or cut into 1/4-inch wide strips with a knife or pizza cutter. Hang noodles for drying if desired and repeat with remaining dough.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and add noodles. Cook until the noodles float to the top and are tender, 4 to 5 minutes. Drain the pasta, reserving a cup or so of pasta water, and set aside while cooking the sauce.
- Once the pasta is done, heat a pan over medium heat. Add the butter, melt, and add the garlic. Cook the garlic for a minute then measure in the peas. Cook until the peas are tender, 3 to 4 minutes. Measure in the cream and reduce the heat to low. Stir in the parmesan followed by the cooked pasta. Toss to coat the noodles, adding a splash or two of pasta water as needed. Taste and add salt per your taste.
- Serve the pasta with extra parmesan and freshly cracked black pepper.
Tips + Tricks: To reheat, add a few splash of milk or water to the pasta and gently reheat in a pan with a lid.
Keywords: homemade pasta, pea pasta, whole wheat pasta