I'm going to be honest with you- the creation of these vegetarian nachos was not spurred on by the fact there is a rather large football game this weekend. In fact, up until I watched SNL this past weekend, I didn't even know who was playing- we're not big sports ball people (M's term, not mine). Instead, these vegetarian nachos came from this quesadilla and finding that since I made those, I'd been craving the chipotle sweet potato combination. I've also been craving things smothered in cheese and this was my thin attempt at making it healthy.
I tend to say this warning before everything recipe that might look overwhelming but I'll say it again: don't let the list of ingredients overwhelm you here, the recipe actually comes together with some ease. You can also make the sweet potato/black bean/cilantro mixture ahead of time and simply make the cheese sauce when you're ready to serve. While these would make a great appetizer, M and I have also been known to make a dinner out of these (perfect for movie night!) These vegetarian nachos are veg and gluten-free friendly, but if you want to take it the extra mile and make them vegan, Laura's butternut queso would put these over the top.Print
Chipotle Sweet Potato Vegetarian Nachos
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Total Time: 50 mins
- Yield: 6 to 8 servings 1x
- Sweet Potatoes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ cup diced red onion
- 1½ cups ¼" cubed sweet potatoes (1 medium sweet potato)
- 1 chipotle
- 2 tablespoon adobo sauce
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Juice from one lime
- ½ cup black beans, drained and rinsed if using canned
- 1 cup cilantro leaves
- 1 clove garlic
- Zest from one lime
- Cheese Sauce
- 3 cup freshly grated cheddar cheese
- 1 ½ tablespoon cornstarch
- 6 tablespoons-¾ cup 2% or whole milk
- ¾ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¾ teaspoon garlic powder
- To Serve
- 6 to 8 servings worth of tortilla chips
- Lime wedges, for serving
- Heat olive oil over medium heat in skillet. Add onions and let cook until onions begin to soften, 3-4 minutes. Next, stir in sweet potatoes and continue to cook for another 3-4 minutes.
- In a mortar and pestle, combine the chipotle, adobo sauce, honey, and lime juice. Break apart the chipotle into small pieces (alternatively, you can cut up the chipotle.) Pour into the pan with the sweet potatoes and reduce the heat to medium-low.Cook until sweet potatoes have softened, 10-15 minutes. Stir in black beans and cook until warm.
- To make gremolata, mince the cilantro leaves and place in a bowl. Using a microplane, grate the garlic on to the cilantro, followed by the lime zest. Toss together and add ¾ of the mixture into the sweet potatoes, stir until well combined.
- In a medium sauce pan, combine cheddar cheese and cornstarch in a small pot. Heat over medium low and stir until cheddar begins to melt. Add 6 tablespoons milk, paprika, and garlic powder, stir until mixture comes together. Add more milk, 1-2 tablespoon at a time, stirring frequently, to reach a pourable cheese sauce, 4 to 5 minutes
- On a platter, place one layer (approximately half) of tortilla chips. Drizzle half the cheese sauce over the chips followed by half the sweet potato mixture. Layer with the remaining tortilla chips, cheese, and sweet potatoes. Finish with the remaining cilantro gremolata and serve hot.