In the realm of cooking and recipe creation I am 1 part creature of comfort and 1 part explorer of all things. You may notice on this site that I like to reuse ideas in different iterations for recipes (ie: creature of comfort). If I try a new dish or find new flavor combinations I love, I branch out into something new (1 part explorer). I find this balance to be rather satisfying because on days I don't feel like cooking or need something quick, I summon my backlog of recipes/meals I've cooked and whip up something similar.
This particular dish is an iteration on a recipe I could barely bring myself to call a recipe (this asparagus and egg dish, to be exact). This dish is as simple as pan frying asparagus and cracking eggs on top. Given that it's winter and there is no asparagus to be had, I reached for one of my other favorite hearty green vegetables: Brussels Sprouts.
What I love most about this dish is that it looks hearty (it is) and looks like something that belongs on your weekend menu for brunch (but rest assured, it comes together quick enough that even a weekday breakfast is worthy). I will say, however, this dish is aching to be eaten with over-easy eggs (trust me, I can attest that it's just not the same when you have to thoroughly cook those egg yolks- thanks pregnancy!)Print
Brussels Sprouts and Eggs
While this is the standard recipe, I've also been known to cook shallots or garlic with the brussels sprouts and sprinkle the dish with a bit of goat cheese before serving!
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Total Time: 25 mins
- Yield: 1 to 2 servings 1x
- ½ tablespoon butter or olive oil
- 2 cups quartered Brussels sprouts
- 2 large eggs
- 2 to 3 tablespoons bread crumbs
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- Heat an 8" skillet over medium-low heat. Melt the butter then add the quartered Brussels sprouts. Stirring occasionally, cook the Brussels sprouts until just tender and browning, 6 to 8 minutes. Create space for the eggs.
- Crack the eggs into the skillet, cover, reduce heat to low and let cook until the egg whites are set and yolks have reached your desired consistency (roughly 10 to 12 minutes for over easy and upwards of 15 minutes for cooked yolks).
- Sprinkle with bread crumbs and serve