Last Friday, on a whim, I took the day to head down to San Francisco to hang out with Kasey the rad Neko. The morning was spent roaming around The Mission, grabbing coffee from Four Barrel, a serious croissant from Tartine Bakery (it was AMAZING), and hanging out at the park. It is these parts of California that I’m so in love with- the food, the weather (I’m sending warm thoughts east), and the ability to “pop” down to San Francisco. The day was wonderful and I even came home with a bit of a sunburn (crazy for January- unless I’ve been boarding.)
So in the spirit of this weather, I made a hearty and quick avocado salad. One of the most popular recipes on this site is a simple chickpea/avocado salad (also, good example of how far my photography has come!) I thought I would update it a bit with a couple of additions and tweaks to make the avocado salad a perfect lunch salad. I sometimes forget how awesome different varieties of lettuce can be and I picked up a head of butter lettuce at the co-op the other day that pairs well with the zing of the lime and the creaminess of the avocado.
- 2 cups shredded Lettuce*
- 1 ripe avocado, cubed
- 1 cup chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 4 scallions, diced through part of the greens
- ½ cup cooked brown rice
- 1 ounce cojita cheese
- 2 tablespoons minced cilantro
- 2 tablespoons Lime Juice
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 2 teaspoons honey
- Pinch of Salt and Pepper
- In a large bowl, toss together shredded lettuce, avocado, chickpeas, scallions, cooked rice, and cojita cheese.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together ingredients for the dressing, Pour over the salad and toss until salad is coated.