As I get older, I tend to realize small things that make my life great. Things like not using an alarm clock (I have a dog for that), withdrawing from pop culture (I had to look up what YOLO meant and the first time I head Call Me, Maybe was actually the Cookie Monster version), and I’ve stopped letting politics upset me (personally I think Jed Bartlet should be president and for those of you who have no idea what I’m talking about, I don’t own cable and am currently watching The West Wing for the first time).
However, one of the things I cherish most is the ability to sit down, drink coffee, and eat breakfast every morning. Rarely do I have a morning when I’m running out the door, feeling stressed and in a hurry (luckily my classes start late enough that time is not something I lack).
When I worked at the bakery my wake-up time was 3:00 to get out the door by 3:30 and start work by 3:50. My breakfast would often be a scone or danish that we made that morning while I was whipping up pies, cookies, and cheesecakes. I didn’t realize until then how much I valued my slow-going, coffee filled mornings. I realized that mornings and breakfast were my time to gear up for the day and without it, I’d often feel lost.
Plus, I do love a good, savory breakfast.
This potato skillet is perfect for those mornings and if you are one of those people who has to run out the door in the morning, tuck it aside for a leisurely weekend. Make the pesto ahead of time for one less step you would need to do in the morning (and a few extra minutes of sleep).
- 2 cups packed basil leaves
- 2 clove garlic
- ¼ cup raw pine nuts
- ⅓ cup Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Everything Else:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cups fingerling potatoes, ¼" slices
- ½ medium red onion
- 1-2 eggs
- parmesan cheese for garnish
- In a dry skillet, lightly toast pine nuts. Set aside and let cool slightly. In a food processor, pulse garlic. Add in basil, pine nuts, parmesan cheese, olive oil, and lemon juice. Pulse until well combined, adding more olive oil/lemon juice as needed.
- In an 8" cast iron skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add in onion and cook until softened, 3-4 minutes. Stir in sliced potatoes, reduce heat to medium low, and cook until browning and tender. Add in 1-4 - ⅓ cup pesto, stirring until potatoes are covered.
- Make well in the middle of cooked potatoes and crack desired amount of eggs, cover, and let cook until egg whites are set. Remove from heat, sprinkle with extra parmesan cheese, and serve.