Temperatures near 100˚ for as far as the forecast goes, corn over head high, and zucchini the size of baseball bats (well, not quite, but close.) I have a feeling it’s going to be long July of finding creative ways to use the abundance of zucchini. I grew up on zucchini bread and really nothing else. For the longest time I had no clue zucchini could be used for anything except sweet bread.
This quesadilla is a snap to throw together and I think you could even convince your meat-grilling friends to save you some space on the grill! Additions of summer squash and eggplant would also be delicious!
- ½ medium zucchini
- ½ tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon chile flakes
- ½ lime juice and zest
- ½ tablespoon honey
- 2-3 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese
- 2-4 8″ or 10″ whole wheat tortillas
- Cut zucchini in to ¼” slices and place in a large bowl. Whisk together ½ tablespoon olive oil, 1 teaspoon cumin, ¼ teaspoon flakes, ½ lime zest/juice, and ½ tablespoon of honey. Pour over zucchini, cover, and let sit for at least 30 minutes.
- When ready to cook, light grill to medium heat. Place slices on grill and let cook on each side until browned, 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat and carefully cut in to small strips. Layer strips on half of the tortilla and sprinkle mozzarella on top.
- Return to grill and cook on each side until tortilla is crisp and cheese is melted. Serve with greek yogurt mixed with lime juice and cilantro.