As the weather is getting colder, I find myself craving more warm dishes throughout the day.
While I love a good bowl of soup, I find myself searching for more. I also want something that I can throw together in a short amount of time since I will now be able to come home for lunch.
A while back I went to a cafe and they had a whole menu of loaded potatoes. I picked the veggie one but it got me thinking about what else I could toss on a potato and make a meal. The possibilities are endless and can be made extremely healthy.
I think potatoes get a bad rap and while I prefer sweet potatoes, there is something really comforting about a loaded baked potato.
I’ve learned to really enjoy chickpeas and I find they serve as the perfect substitute for meat in this meal. I also have a slight obsession with Buffalo sauce. The only slightly unhealthy part of this meal is the ranch dressing is used but you could always sprinkle some bleu cheese crumbs on top and call it good!
- 2 potatoes
- ½ cup chickpeas
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ medium onion, sliced
- ¼ cup franks red hot
- 1-2 tablespoons butter (no necessary but reduces heat.)
- Topping options: Bleu Cheese, Cheddar Cheese, and/or Ranch
- Bake Potato (either in microwave or oven.)
- While Potato is baking, slice some onion and toss it in a pan with a little olive oil. Cook until onion is translucent. Toss in chickpeas and cook for another 1-2 minutes. Finally add in Franks Red Hot (and butter if you don’t like it spicy.) Continue to heat and stir for 1-2 more minutes.
- Slice potato in half and squish the sides. Top with chickpea mixture and cheese. Serve with ranch or blue cheese.