These hands. These hands are the ones that pull me in for a hug when I need it the most. These hands work code magic on websites. These hands pretend to play three card monte with apples.
I love these hands (and the man that comes with them).
Our weekends together have been nothing short of wonderful. Trips to the farmers' market, projects tackled, and overall time well spent together. On Sunday it seemed we began to hit our normal: me making brunch and M in the garage, tinkering away. It seems so right. It makes me excited for the day when we own a home and our Sundays are similar to this past one.
A dutch baby has been on my t0-do list for some time. It always seemed like one of those recipes too tough or to time consuming to tackle (even though this recipe could be farther from the truth). I have this horrible habit of imaging how recipes are going to be and I let that psych me out of making it.
This is really a thing of wonder. No baking soda or powder, just a few simple ingredients whipped together in a blender and then baked in a cast iron skillet. The result is this perfectly fluffy, pancake-esque meal.
Whole Wheat Dutch Baby Pancakes with Cinnamon Apples
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 25 mins
- Total Time: 35 mins
- Yield: 2 1x
- Category: Breakfast
- 2 eggs eggs
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- ½ cup 2% milk
- ½ cup + 2 tablespoons whole wheat pastry flour
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- Zest from ½ lemon
- 1 tablespoons butter
- 3 granny smith apples
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- ½ tablespoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 400˚.
- Combine eggs, milk, flour, lemon zest, salt, and maple syrup in a blender. Pulse until combined.
- On the stop top, melt 1 tablespoon butter in a 10" cast iron (well seasoned) skillet. Swirl around to cover the pan once melted. Remove from heat and pour in batter. Bake in oven until golden brown and puffed, 20-25 minutes.
- Dice apples in to ½" chunks. Place in a pot with maple syrup, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Heat oven medium-low heat until apple are cooked, 10-15 minutes.
- Remove dutch baby from oven and top with apples. Serve with butter and extra maple syrup if desired.