Post sponsored by GE Appliances. See below for more details.
Some time back, my son came to me and requested pancakes with strawberries (very sternly). He helped me measure the batter and watched as the pancakes bubbled on the stovetop. It's these moments that I feel I'll hold onto (and most likely recount to him when he's 20). I love spending time with him in the kitchen and pancakes have become a reoccurring theme in our kitchen.
These cornmeal pancakes are a riff on those original pancakes I made with him. I love adding cornmeal to the batter for flavor and texture. I've also become a bit obsessed with making chia jam. It's easy, quick, and makes for the perfect pancake topping (especially when almond butter is involved).
Best of all, I was able to break in the new griddle top on my new studio stovetop. I partnered with GE for the studio space and I'm in love with this range. The duel-oven and six-burner stovetop gives me so much room to cook (all in 30"). Scroll down to see a bit more about what I chose and why!
Spelt Cornmeal Pancakes with Strawberry-Lavender Chia Jam
Make together or separate, these pancakes are the perfect weekend breakfast. Best of all, the strawberry jam is lightly sweetened- a toddler-breakfast plus!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 2 to 3 servings 1x
2 cups cored and halved strawberries
1 tablespoon lemon juice
2 tablespoons maple syrup
¼ teaspoon dried lavender
2 to 3 tablespoons chia seeds
½ cup spelt flour
½ cup fine to medium-ground cornmeal
1 teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons butter, plus extra for cooking
1 tablespoon maple syrup
2 large eggs
½ cup to ¾ cup whole milk
Nut butter, for serving
- In a small sauce pan, combine the strawberries with the lemon juice, maple syrup, and lavender. Heat over medium-low heat until the strawberries are soft enough to mash, 10 to 15 minutes. Mash with the back of a fork or spoon then stir in the chia. For thicker jam, use 3 tablespoons.
- Reduce the heat to low and cook for another minute or so. Remove from heat, transfer to a jar, and let sit to cool. As the jam cools, the mixture will thicken.
- Once the jam is cooling, make the pancakes. In a small butter warmer or sauce pan, heat butter and maple syrup together until butter has melted. Remove from heat an let cool.
- Combine dry ingredients in a bowl. Crack in the eggs, measure in the milk, and add the cooled butter/maple syrup mixture. Stir until just combined. Set aside while heating the skillet.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat. When skillet is hot (if you flick water onto the skillet, it should sizzle), add roughly ½ tablespoon of butter. Take about ¼ cup of batter and pour onto skillet. Let cook for 1-2 minutes (until the pancakes begins to bubble slightly. Flip and let cook for another 1-2 minutes until pancake is cooked through.
- Repeat with remaining batter and serve with a drizzle or spread of your favorite nut butter and a drizzle of the strawberry jam.
Jam: This flavor combination would also me amazing with summer berries. Try blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, or a mix of all!
Flour: Make these pancakes gluten-free by swapping the spelt for oat flour. You might need to play with the liquid amount a bit but it would work.
I'm actually excited to share about the appliances. Ever since I started posting about the kitchen on instagram, so many people have asked about the range. The 30" Cafe Series double oven and six-burner top have been wonderful. The space is so well utilized in the oven and I wasn't sure I'd like the digital control panel but it makes like so much easier. Add to that the hood and I'm good to go.
As for the refrigerator, I research a lot. I needed a smaller (29") refrigerator but I still wanted the French Doors. Similar to the oven- each space is well designed and I'm amazed at how much it holds. My exact set-up:
Disclosure: This recipe was created in partnership with GE Appliances. All thoughts and opinions are my own. It’s content like this that helps me keep this site running to provide the vegetarian recipes you see every week.