I have a soft spot in my heart for rhubarb. I grew up thinking that rhubarb was extremely special and not something everyone grew (so special, in fact, that I was convinced you couldn’t get new rhubarb plants.) My great-grandfather planted rhubarb many moons ago and through the years those rhubarb plants have been transferred and split between new homes and new families. I was convinced this was the tradition of rhubarb. Of course, some years later, I learned that rhubarb was quite common but still, I love the story I have with rhubarb. Even more, I knew M and I had something special when he told me of all the pies, rhubarb was his favorite.
I’ve always been a big proponent of non-pie rhubarb recipes, especially savory rhubarb recipes. I think rhubarb is one of the most underrated spring produce items. The earthy, tartness is a flavor of it’s own that deserves to shine without being smothered in sugar. So today, I’ve sharing with you a few of my favorite rhubarb recipes from the site and from around the web. Hopefully this inspires you to step outside the pie box (ha!). Have a lovely long weekend!
And while these might not be savory, quick breads and crepes are always on my to-make list:
Plus a few recipes from around the web that caught my eye:
- Rhubarb Mojito from Not Without Salt
- Rhubarb Panna Cotta Tart from Hummingbird High
- Spiced Braised Rhubarb from Saveur
- Rhubarb Syrup from The Kitchn
- Ginger Cake with Poached Rhubarb from The Yellow House
- Rhubarb Fennel Fizz from The Year in Food
- Rhubarb Chia Jam from Cookie + Kate
- Rhubarb Lime Granita from Apt. 2b Baking Co