One of my goals is to share more minimal, 1 to 2 person recipes. These are the recipes that I throw together on a whim and usually don’t post because they feel too simple. And yet, I think this is what people need more of in their kitchen. Recipes that are ready in 20, full of flavor, and still feature beautiful produce.
Cheese toast is usually an easy go-to when I’m in this mentality. Fry or poach an egg, combine with a bit of produce, and you have a meal. The extra special part of this is the garlicky goat cheese. I love roasted garlic but don’t always have time to make it. Toasting the garlic in a small bit of oil helps get a flavor similar to the roasted garlic in a fraction of the time.
A quick breakfast using soft goat cheese as a base for toast and topped with lemony-arugula and an egg. Ready in about 15 minutes.
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 medium clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 ounce soft goat cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt, divided (see note)
- 1/3 cup arugula (see note)
- Fresh lemon juice
- 1 slice toasted bread
- 1 poached or fried egg
- Crushed red pepper, optional
- Heat a small skillet over low heat. Add the olive oil, followed by the minced garlic, Fry until golden and fragrant; about 2 minutes. Transfer to a bowl with the goat cheese and 1/8 teaspoon salt. Mash/stir the garlic into the goat cheese.
- In a small bowl, combine the remaining salt with the arugula and enough lemon juice to coat the arugula. Toss until combined.
- Assemble the toast. Spread the goat cheese then layer on the arugula and poached/fried egg. Top with crushed red pepper or black pepper if desired.
- Tips + Tricks: Whenever I’m at the market, I like to taste the arugula. Different varieties have more of a bite to them. For this I used a more mild arugula but it would work really well with the peppery varieties.
- If you are sensitive to salt, start with less and add more as desired.
- Have leftover ingredients? Find more recipe inspiration: Eggs, Garlic, Arugula
- Calories: 230
- Sugar: 2
- Sodium: 761
- Fat: 13.9
- Saturated Fat: 4.5
- Carbohydrates: 15.7
- Fiber: 1.3
- Protein: 11.1
- Cholesterol: 154
Swap out the greens: use another tender green, like baby spinach. You could also wilt a heartier green, like kale or chard.
Not a goat cheese fan: use cream cheese in place of the goat cheese. Not quite the same flavor but garlic and cream cheese work really well together on this cheese toast.
Salad: Turn this combination into a lovely salad. Toast the garlic and make a dressing to use with the arugula, homemade croutons, and goat cheese. This is perfect if you have any roasted vegetables hanging around.
Arugula is my favorite green to use raw. Each type of arugula has a different personality which lends itself well to many different recipes. The peppery bite from arugula is wonderful in salads and can be a great compliment to other seasonal produce. I recommend trying the arugula before buying- some varieties are more peppery than others (which means some taste downright spicy!)